I seem to feel better off medication?

Hi everybody, I have a question as it’s something I’ve been quite curious about. I seem to feel better off anti-depressants then I do when I’m on them? I don’t know if it’s because I’ve had quite a negative experience with both Sertraline and Fluoxetine, however I’m fully off Fluoxetine now waiting to be put on something else and for some reason I feel like I have emotions again? Of course my OCD and anxiety is still there but I seem to be a lot more calmer anxiety wise and mind wise then i do on them?

Has anybody else felt this way? I want to still try what the community mental health team will next prescribe as it may just be a matter of trail and error still, but at least I know I can be okay off them too :) 

12 minutes ago, Caramoole said:

I suppose the question you need to ask is what are you looking for from medication?  What is it you want to achieve from taking it?

I suppose being told from my doctors all of the time that medication is a big help for anxiety and OCD in higher doses, however I feel so detached from reality when I am on medication. When I was extremely desperate I saw medication as this quick fix (when now I know it’s really not) when really now I’ve found an amazing therapist I feel like I might be able to do it without medication as i overall feel a lot better being off them for some reason? 

Hi,

I couldn't cope with the medication either. I didn't feel in control on it, felt almost out of my body.  I got told that I needed to give it time but I have children and didn't want to look after them feeling like that.  I also was worried about the side effects coming off them.  I am trying without and seeing how I do.  

Then don't be pressured into taking medication if you feel you are coping and feel better without it.  Medication doesn't cure or fix OCD, it may help some with anxiety which in turn can help them to deal better with therapy.  Medication can also cause some bad side effects, including increased anxiety and agitation.  If you feel better, if you feel encouraged and confident by your new therapist, explain that.  Tell them that you'd like to leave the option open but for the moment you'd like to see how you get on with CBT

1 hour ago, Summer9173 said:

I suppose being told from my doctors all of the time that medication is a big help for anxiety and OCD in higher doses

Hi Summer.   Like yourself, I have found it is always good to have a balanced debate with my GP.  They initially started me on 20mg, then they wanted to increase it.  I resisted this increase due to side effects.  After 9 months on fluoxetine I contacted them again.  I had seen an improvement in my mood (helped by CBT therapy) so we negotiated a drop from 20mg daily to 20mg on alternate days..  Now my mood is holding steady and less bad side effects.

A good GP will always allow some negotiation.  ?

2 hours ago, northpaul said:

Hi Summer.   Like yourself, I have found it is always good to have a balanced debate with my GP.  They initially started me on 20mg, then they wanted to increase it.  I resisted this increase due to side effects.  After 9 months on fluoxetine I contacted them again.  I had seen an improvement in my mood (helped by CBT therapy) so we negotiated a drop from 20mg daily to 20mg on alternate days..  Now my mood is holding steady and less bad side effects.

A good GP will always allow some negotiation.  ?

Thank you for your reply! I agree with The taking it every other day. I know I’m only tapering off Fluoxetine but I’m currently taking if every 2 days and I seem to feel better that way then taking it everyday. Of course it is all about trail and error and hopefully I’ll find something that’s not to harsh on me etc, I just for some reason feel more human when I don’t take them everyday but again there’s other factors that could be contributing to that of course. 

I feel like now I’ve been referred to the community mental health team, hopefully they’ll be more of an understanding of what can help me medication wise :) 

3 hours ago, Caramoole said:

Then don't be pressured into taking medication if you feel you are coping and feel better without it.  Medication doesn't cure or fix OCD, it may help some with anxiety which in turn can help them to deal better with therapy.  Medication can also cause some bad side effects, including increased anxiety and agitation.  If you feel better, if you feel encouraged and confident by your new therapist, explain that.  Tell them that you'd like to leave the option open but for the moment you'd like to see how you get on with CBT

Thank you @Caramoole , I do cimd medication always seem’s to increase may anxiety so maybe it might be the point that I’m still in the trial and error stage with finding what works for me, it’s just kind of given me hope in a way that I don’t actually need to rely on medication like I once thought, and actually I do okay off them too :) 

3 hours ago, Busy Fool said:

Hi,

I couldn't cope with the medication either. I didn't feel in control on it, felt almost out of my body.  I got told that I needed to give it time but I have children and didn't want to look after them feeling like that.  I also was worried about the side effects coming off them.  I am trying without and seeing how I do.  

I agree with what you said about feeling almost out of your body, I literally feel the same way especially when your on such a high dosage taking it everyday. The giving it time to work is the worst…. One of the reasons why I stopped Fluoxetine as I couldn’t handle the pulptation’s side effect it was giving me. I hope you feel okay off them alongside therapy :) I have been told therapy can be just as good as medication! 

Hiya, my thoughts at present are that, When the prescription charges come into force, I will then have a good reason to come off my medicines anyway... The nighttimw one is miniscule, and to be honest, I really don't think the daytime ones are having much effect anyway...  It is difficult to get to see our doctor at present in order to discuss reducing it all down anyway, just to see if I really can become 'drugfree'. It would save me forgetting it sometimes (!)  I'm not sure I even get side effects... It might be nice to just stop, gradually...

David

For me, my medication helps me more with depression that OCD. But I actually started taking it for OCD - fixing the depression was an unexpected bonus :) and now my circumstances are better I'm not sure I even need it for that any more.

Where I do find it really helps now is that it just takes the edge off so that things I have to do for ERP are possible. Without medication I think I'd find these tasks next to impossible, but with the medication weakening my OCD I have the strength to complete my ERP tasks. I'm hoping one day I'll have finished tackling all my current compulsions and can continue my ERP and come off my medication. My goal is this autumn. 

Only saying this just in case it helps one day, but if you're better without the meds, you know you best!! 

Best of luck :)