Post your favorite distracting movies, books, music, shows, etc!

During lockdown I managed to survive by watching most of the House MD series(not even in the right order). Some characters like House, or Grissom in CSI were interesting and intelligent, probably both obsessive in their own fields.

I do rely on music and comedy(old to new stand up), the music soothes and the comedy just distracts me in a pleasant way. Humour is an important part of culture and the ability to laugh at ourselves, bring us into reality.

Fry and Laurie at the psychiatrists>  

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/06/2022 at 14:11, howard said:

There are a few writers who can completely distract me, mainly because of their unique perspectives and insights into the human condition.

One is Borges and another is Oscar Wilde>         

Yet each man kills the thing he loves,
By each let this be heard,
Some do it with a bitter look,
Some with a flattering word,
The coward does it with a kiss,
The brave man with a sword!

Some kill their love when they are young,
And some when they are old;
Some strangle with the hands of Gold:
The kindest use a knife, because
The dead so soon grow cold.

Some love too little, some too long,
Some sell and others buy;
Some do the deed with many tears,
And some without a sigh:
For each man kills the thing he loves,
Yet each man does not die.

Thanks for this, Howard.

Have you ever read anything by Seamus Heaney? I would argue he is one of the best (if not THE best) poets who ever lived.

On 30/06/2022 at 22:32, Lynz said:

Thanks for this, Howard.

Have you ever read anything by Seamus Heaney? I would argue he is one of the best (if not THE best) poets who ever lived.

I hadn't but I will.

I must admit that while good prose is insightful and enlightening, I've never really got poetry in a big way(maybe because I didn't study it I never really understood).

I few stand out like Blake with, 'What immortal hand or eye, Could frame thy fearful symmetry'. I think I find specic poems by writers that speak to me.

Borges Book Labyrinths is one of the best books I've ever read(just borrowed it off a friend on a whim).

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I do a lot of distracting.

I like listening to Alan Watts talking, in this case he's talking about 'over thinking and meditation' but there's something about his delivery and voice that is soothing. I believe he was one of those who popularised Eastern ideas in the West, so it is a bit dated, but interesting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Carole King's "Tapestry" remains amongst the top 10 albums I have ever bought.

And the music of James Taylor never disappoints. "I've seen fire and I've seen rain" is for me right up there with the greatest songs.

For a loved-up night with your good lady you can't beat a decent romcom. Amongst our absolute favourites is the classic "Sleepless in Seattle" with Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks

It's so good we have seen it several times, and bought the soundtrack which contains truly iconic songs by various artists.

The Director is the brilliant Nora Ephron, the story divine and the locations and photography are real class.

My photography hobby is proving an excellent distraction for me.

I joined the local camera club, which meets weekly other than a break in August.

Their packed programme includes something for everyone, over print snd digital platforms, and there are regular competitions including "set subjects".

This sends me out looking for compositions and locations to suit, and it is a great "focus" 😃 to have!

On 12/03/2023 at 22:18, howard said:

'Black Dog' by Arlo Parks and it's great that singer/song writers are willing to tackle difficult subjects, but it's also just so beautiful. Go Arlo.

I love Arlo Parks, Her radio show “Dream Fuel” was great. Growing up there weren’t many artists like this that talked about their mental health or other difficult subjects (I feel like the early 00’s was the era of The Strokes and the revival of rock bravado.)

Now the hard part, trying to recommend something that isn’t intensely personal…

In recent years I have got into audiobooks as I find reading a struggle; the subject is important but a good narrator can make it or break it. Stephen Fry reading Sherlock Holmes is particularly good but I often listen to a lot of non-fiction books.

3 hours ago, Sputnik Bug said:

but a good narrator can make it or break it.

I am an avid reader but had eye surgery last year where I was unable to read. As part of my recovery I also had to spend much of my time face down for several days, so thought audio books would be a great way to ease the boredom. Unfortunately the narration just spoiled it for me! On a positive note, it did help me nod off which passed some time!😂

On 19/06/2023 at 12:56, Sputnik Bug said:

still going to take this as a plus for audiobooks as you can't beat a good power-nap 😃

😂 and according to recent news reports they are beneficial to long term health! 

I like to watch quiz shows such as the Chase and Tipping Point as my first go to, and also Coronation Street. In terms of the music, I am a classic rock and punk rock fan. I listen to a lot of bands such as Primus, Descendents, the Smiths, ELO at the moment. I haven't read too many books but there is quite a good one I read a few months ago called Obssessive Compulsive Dramatic by Jack Bingham which he talks about his experience with OCD, BPD and addiction. I related to this book a lot when he talked about his OCD.