Achievements Thread - Pat on The Back

There is something we can all do that will strike back against the OCD.

The concept is simple, but the doing of it can prove a tough challenge. 

So what is it? 

When OCD wants us not do something, what can we do to stand up to that?

Do it!!!

Then, expect OCD to  roll out all sorts of reasons, and various compulsions, to stop us. But, if we nevertheless go on and do it, irrespective, we are actually undermining the power of the OCD.

It may up its game. If so, learn to, practice, ignoring it. Build on the gain of having found you can stand up to it, and carry on doing so, ignoring the urges to avoid, or carry out compulsions. 

This is difficult. But feel the fear and do it anyway.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, taurean said:

So what is it? 

Do it!!!

Then, expect OCD to  roll out all sorts of reasons, and various compulsions, to stop us. But, if we nevertheless go on and do it, irrespective, we are actually undermining the power of the OCD.

It may up its game. If so, learn to, practice, ignoring it. Build on the gain of having found you can stand up to it, and carry on doing so, ignoring the urges to avoid, or carry out compulsions. 

That’s what I’m realising at the moment too ?. At first, when I stopped the compulsions (or at least tried to) they seemed to come at me and move onto different intrusive thoughts. It felt like I was tempted constantly to give in as it was too much to cope with.

Focussing on the little positives has really helped and I’ve found that the more I refuse to engage with them that the anxiety has decreased a lot too. Last week it felt unbearable at times but now I’m feeling stronger and more able to do the things I want to do in spite of it.

I feel like I can breathe again today. A few bad thoughts came at me in the supermarket and the pang of anxiety hit but I breathed through it and let them pass. It worked ?

9 minutes ago, determination987 said:

A few bad thoughts came at me in the supermarket and the pang of anxiety hit but I breathed through it and let them pass. It worked ?

Did you remember to treat yourself on this achievement while you were at the supermarket?  ?

Well for 2 days now I’ve managed to not do any compulsions such as reassurance/ confessing and I’ve put a bit of a dent in the ruminating. 

Anxiety has spiked quite high at times but I’ve just tried to go with it and have actually had some quite peaceful moments. ?

1 hour ago, taurean said:

So what is it? 

Do it!!!

Completely agree.  It's the premise of the self help book Anxiety, Depression, OCD and related disorders, formerly called Pulling The Trigger.  You face those things you fear and spend a life running from.  The fear of living with OCD fear every day is far worse

2 hours ago, Nora said:

I got a long way through the book Overcoming Unwanted Intrusive Thoughts and really felt like I make progress in understanding my situation! ☺️

I love this book! I’m finding it really helpful too ?. Definitely helps understanding the why and helps to make those steps to not giving in to the thoughts ?

Sorry if I’m adding too much to this thread but I’m finding it really helpful to find the good.

Even today where I’ve had huge anxiety, it feels better than last week when I was doing endless compulsions to fix them. 

I managed to attach some photos to a message without checking over and over and giving up. I realised I nearly went down that route and stopped and sent them anyway, despite having no way to check them afterwards.

I went for a small run which made me feel better and I got up and carried on with my day without calling people for reassurance. The anxiety is still there but I’m going to find some way to have a nice evening regardless.

Little steps. 

Well done. The more you ease yourself away from the compulsions - and I  suggest a determined shift in focus away to something involved and beneficial at the point you feel the compulsion - then you will find that anxiety will gradually start to ease.

41 minutes ago, taurean said:

Well done. The more you ease yourself away from the compulsions - and I  suggest a determined shift in focus away to something involved and beneficial at the point you feel the compulsion - then you will find that anxiety will gradually start to ease.

I’ll give that a go, thanks! I think today because the anxiety was strong and I was tired that it was hard to focus anything beneficial so it didn’t really go. I’ll try and push myself to do something nice in spite of the anxious feelings. 

1 hour ago, KaTiee said:

I’m not sure it counts but I only cried once today and for a short time. 

That's good.  Now and again it's understandable, tears can be healing but sometimes it can be not so helpful & cements a feeling of hopelessness.......so sometimes taking a deep breath & thinking "No, this isn't beating me.....I'm moving forward" can be powerful.  Here's to more days without tears :)

11 minutes ago, Caramoole said:

That's good.  Now and again it's understandable, tears can be healing but sometimes it can be not so helpful & cements a feeling of hopelessness.......so sometimes taking a deep breath & thinking "No, this isn't beating me.....I'm moving forward" can be powerful.  Here's to more days without tears :)

????

20 minutes ago, Ma29 said:

I got some thoughts this morning and did pay them a little bit of attention BUT then I decided to paint my nails and distract myself instead of running away and crawling into bed. 

Good on you Ma!  That's just the sort of little thing we want to see.  I know it won't make things go immediately right but this is just the sort of thing that will really help.  Welcome to the thread :hug:

Thanks @Caramoole.

I just want to point out that today I have managed to ..

Hoover the house. Clean bedrooms and bathroom. Change the bedsheets. Help my mum give the baby a bath. Hold the baby. Kiss the baby. Play with him. Hug my nephews and let them sit next to me. I have had several intrusive thoughts throughout the day but have tried my best not to give them attention. This is still work in progress but I was able to shake some of the thoughts of within minutes, some were harder than others and there may have been a few compulsions but nothing like I normally do so I still see this  as a win. 

1 hour ago, Ma29 said:

Thanks @Caramoole.

I just want to point out that today I have managed to ..

Hoover the house. Clean bedrooms and bathroom. Change the bedsheets. Help my mum give the baby a bath. Hold the baby. Kiss the baby. Play with him. Hug my nephews and let them sit next to me. I have had several intrusive thoughts throughout the day but have tried my best not to give them attention. This is still work in progress but I was able to shake some of the thoughts of within minutes, some were harder than others and there may have been a few compulsions but nothing like I normally do so I still see this  as a win. 

:cheer: :cheer: Absolutely Fabulous Ma.......really Well Done.  I know days will come where you really struggle but if you get back up and do "normal" stuff like this, tell your brain you're taking charge, keep occupied instead of having a huge vacuum to breed the thoughts.....you'll win through.  Keep going :)

I left the house for the first time in 6 weeks today - to have breakfast. I managed to do my make up and put some jewellery on which is something I’ve not done in the last 10 weeks.

I have fed the baby, burped him and rocked him to sleep twice. Again, I have not been doing this. The second time rocking was very rocky (mind the pun) however I managed to stop and take some deep breaths. I have also recognised what makes my anxiety spike at the moment and that’s when I’m around a lot of people and also the way people speak to me whilst I’m holding the baby. For example, my mum shouted at me telling me not to be afraid to let my hands move freely and so my anxiety spiked  - I kindly asked her not to shout at me as I need a calm environment. When the intrusive thoughts start which are mainly about the placement of my hands, I stop and say to my self ‘you are holding /feeding/burping/soothing your baby, that’s all - let your hand movements be completely natural and search deep within your soul to find the strength to do this’. When I feel the temptation to ruminate I stop my self and say ‘remember you only have good intentions so the process of ruminating is irrelevant - it doesn’t matter where your hands were, so what if they were in between his legs/nappy area, you’re his mother’. This also helps with what if thoughts - ‘what if my hand went touched in between in legs near the nappy area, well it doesn’t matter’ as you are his mother and have only good intention. 

Hoping I can make it through the rest of today as best as I can. 

Edited by Ma29

You are doing so well @Ma29 I'm really proud of you, I know how very hard it is to do.  And you're right to stand up to your Mum.  If you're doing it in a way that you can face, that's how it should be.  You keep going.  Don't panic when you get a day or a moment when the thought or feelings of panic flash up.....just be ready to recognise, deep breath and get through the moment :)

49 minutes ago, Ma29 said:

I left the house for the first time in 6 weeks today - to have breakfast. I managed to do my make up and put some jewellery on which is something I’ve not done in the last 10 weeks.

How did you feel?  I hope you're proud of yourself.  Was your Husband surprised?

4 hours ago, Caramoole said:

You are doing so well @Ma29 I'm really proud of you, I know how very hard it is to do.

Thanks @Caramoole

Don't panic when you get a day or a moment when the thought or feelings of panic flash up

Yes, I’ll try not too and will try my best to recognise what it is. 

How did you feel?  I hope you're proud of yourself.  Was your Husband surprised?

It felt odd for me but it also felt good as I used to enjoy looking good - who doesn’t. Yes he was and he acknowledged that I was doing well every stew hours today which was nice to hear as I felt supported ect - he’s been incredibly supportive during the last 10 weeks - I feel very grateful to have him.