Achievements Thread - Pat on The Back

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Appointment done and although anxious, I managed to keep a hold on the compulsions beforehand and it all went fine. I stopped trying to predict and preempt it all and did no checks so feeling really good about that. 

Had a few compulsions creep in afterwards - going over conversations and checking with people but I stopped it quite quickly and I’m now having a nice cup of tea and feeling like it’s another big step forwards! Had a coffee afterwards to reward myself too 😊.

Hope everyone is doing okay.

21 minutes ago, determination987 said:

Appointment done

That in itself is a good positive step.  Add to that keeping the compulsions at a low level makes it even better.  Your resolution to keep working at the therapy is working.   :clap:

This is one of those cases where I can say do what I do - that is get up in the morning and take another forward step.

58 minutes ago, northpaul said:

That in itself is a good positive step.  Add to that keeping the compulsions at a low level makes it even better.  Your resolution to keep working at the therapy is working.   :clap:

This is one of those cases where I can say do what I do - that is get up in the morning and take another forward step.

Thanks 😊 

Yes, I can feel my mind pulling me to analyse it all but I’m recognising it and stopping it as best as I can.

Yes, the challenge is to continue with life tomorrow as normal and not find another thing to obsess about.

I’ve been doing a lot better lately and feeling so much stronger overall, thanks to the amazing support on here.

I just had an urge to check a quick thing, something that didn’t feel like OCD but just a random query. It was OCD though in disguise and I made the decision to not fall for it, not to do a quick check and to continue with what I was doing. I’m learning the difference between contemplation and rumination and this has been key. Anxiety is often the biggest indication.

I’m also still waiting on a form that was one of the first things that I posted about on here and I was completely beside myself with it. I need to chase it up at some point again but I’ve made the decision to do it next week instead when it’s more appropriate to do so and to not preempt things. I couldn’t have imagined ever being at this point before. OCD would have made me panic, see it as urgent, life threatening and feed me constant narratives about how it will go wrong if I don’t ‘sort it’

I just wanted to post to show other people that it DOES get better and in my experience it hasn’t been a fast process and I’m still in the process but every day I’m learning and it’s making me feel more confident in other areas of life too.

I really recommend setting small goals and finding the little achievements in the day and writing them down, either on here or elsewhere and seeing the progress. It feels like it’s not there sometimes but they are.

55 minutes ago, determination987 said:

I’ve been doing a lot better lately and feeling so much stronger overall, thanks to the amazing support on here.

I just had an urge to check a quick thing, something that didn’t feel like OCD but just a random query. It was OCD though in disguise and I made the decision to not fall for it, not to do a quick check and to continue with what I was doing. I’m learning the difference between contemplation and rumination and this has been key. Anxiety is often the biggest indication.

I’m also still waiting on a form that was one of the first things that I posted about on here and I was completely beside myself with it. I need to chase it up at some point again but I’ve made the decision to do it next week instead when it’s more appropriate to do so and to not preempt things. I couldn’t have imagined ever being at this point before. OCD would have made me panic, see it as urgent, life threatening and feed me constant narratives about how it will go wrong if I don’t ‘sort it’

I just wanted to post to show other people that it DOES get better and in my experience it hasn’t been a fast process and I’m still in the process but every day I’m learning and it’s making me feel more confident in other areas of life too.

I really recommend setting small goals and finding the little achievements in the day and writing them down, either on here or elsewhere and seeing the progress. It feels like it’s not there sometimes but they are.

This is really good to read. We can all improve if we learn what we need to do, then go about the ways and means to make it happen.

It's very difficult, there are peaks and troughs - and it's because it isn't easy that there is a need for this charity,  and these forums.

But it can be done, and it's so satisfying to read about people's achievements.

4 minutes ago, taurean said:

This is really good to read. We can all improve if we learn what we need to do, then go about the ways and means to make it happen.

It's very difficult, there are peaks and troughs - and it's because it isn't easy that there is a need for this charity,  and these forums.

But it can be done, and it's so satisfying to read about people's achievements.

Absolutely, these forums are amazing 😊

I struggled to write achievements before I came on here as I was often really harsh on myself and didn’t feel like I deserved it or that it was boastful or something. I’m learning that I can be proud of my achievements and hope that others are encouraged to do so too.

I think that it sometimes feels easier to write the negatives and focus on that when it feels all consuming. But looking and finding those small progresses is really motivating and helps to combat some of the OCD thinking.

I definitely have peaks and troughs too and I was hoping for a quick fix when I first came here. I was desperate. I wanted someone to give me the answers I needed but I’ve learned that not getting answers is exactly what I need. I’m building that tolerance up day by day and tackling those exposures and it’s definitely improving. I think the fear of being anxious was one of the biggest obstacles and learning to just sit with it has been so so helpful.

I had major abdominal/pelvic surgery just over 3 weeks ago. For the first 10 days or so I was practically bedbound and in horrendous pain, and I also suffered some complications from the surgery. My mood was at an all-time low as I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel and it was a really awful time.

About a week ago I was able to start moving around the house and garden a little bit more and my pain has slowly started to reduce, and today I managed a short walk outside to see the ducks 🦆 (I live near a canal). It doesn't sound like a lot in terms of a big achievement but I'm absolutely thrilled with myself 😊

Edited by Lynz
55 minutes ago, Lynz said:

I had major abdominal/pelvic surgery just over 3 weeks ago. For the first 10 days or so I was practically bedbound and in horrendous pain, and I also suffered some complications from the surgery. My mood was at an all-time low as I couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel and it was a really awful time.

About a week ago I was able to start moving around the house and garden a little bit more and my pain has slowly started to reduce, and today I managed a short walk outside to see the ducks 🦆 (I live near a canal). It doesn't sound like a lot in terms of a big achievement but I'm absolutely thrilled with myself 😊

That is a big achievement! Hope you’re feeling okay and glad the pain is starting to reduce 😊

Today, I just confirmed electoral registration details and did a quick check and submitted the details. I was about to check again but accepted that once was enough and rather than losing hours to it as I previously would have, I’m looking forward to enjoying my evening instead.

These forms used to really get me caught up before. I’d even go as far to call the office to check I’d not made a mistake which would result in waiting ages on the phone and confusing the advisor on the phone. 

On 08/07/2022 at 23:34, confusedworry said:

Just finished my first week of work and I've been loving it. The intrusive thoughts are still present and I sometimes find myself engaging in compulsions but I'm getting there and making progress

That’s really good 😊. How are you getting on? 

I saw a friend that I hadn’t seen for ages today. I’ve been avoiding meet ups for months. I was anxious and could feel my mind pulling towards ‘what ifs’, trying to control things etc but I wanted to keep up not giving into the compulsions and it worked well.

It was a lovely visit and I was able to be mindful and my anxiety reduced quite quickly by doing nothing. Usually when people come over, I spend ages planning and buying special goods in so that it’s as perfect but I just rustled up some bits and didn’t preempt anything. It was liberating. I feel like by working on the things that OCD was taking over, it’s having an impact on other areas of my life.

I thought that the need to make everything perfect, to control things and worrying was all part of my personality but I can see that I’ve been using it as a coping mechanism.

I have to chase up a form tomorrow and usually that would take over my entire weekend. I am nervous but I’m refusing to engage with compulsions as they don’t change anything. I will handle whatever comes my way 😊

On 10/07/2022 at 00:13, ocdjonesy said:

Cleaned out mouse **** infested shed this afternoon without freaking out too much about wiles disease after avoiding it for months hooray me.

Wow, that's huge- well done! 

I was DESPERATE DESPERATE DESPERATE to get some clarity on something my therapist said, which would have been reasurrance seeking. I asked her via email and she didn't give me it. I refrained from asking her again in my session. So I'm left with 'what if she thinks I am a terrible person?' but I'm going to live with it. Because I've decided I know the answer really and also it doesnt matter what she thinks (I mean that in a nice and good way) x

On 11/07/2022 at 22:39, meadowflower said:

I was DESPERATE DESPERATE DESPERATE to get some clarity on something my therapist said, which would have been reasurrance seeking. I asked her via email and she didn't give me it. I refrained from asking her again in my session. So I'm left with 'what if she thinks I am a terrible person?' but I'm going to live with it. Because I've decided I know the answer really and also it doesnt matter what she thinks (I mean that in a nice and good way) x

That’s so good 😊 

Today I got a response to an email that had been a huge trigger for me and was one of the reasons that I first visited this forum.

After I sent the initial email a few weeks ago, I’d managed to calm the OCD questions and stopped the rumination cycle which I was really proud of.

After the response, I got the initial spike of anxiety and realised that I was starting to check more than once and the what ifs started coming. Instead of getting caught up in the compulsions, I decided I was going to go for a walk.

I usually preempt anything in my responses and try to organise everything asap and with as much detail as possible so that I have can have control over a situation but I’m going to go with the flow this time! I can see that my anxiety is high as my instinct always goes against doing this but I’m confident that I can handle whatever happens without doing the compulsions on top.

14 hours ago, determination987 said:

Today I got a response to an email that had been a huge trigger for me and was one of the reasons that I first visited this forum.

After I sent the initial email a few weeks ago, I’d managed to calm the OCD questions and stopped the rumination cycle which I was really proud of.

After the response, I got the initial spike of anxiety and realised that I was starting to check more than once and the what ifs started coming. Instead of getting caught up in the compulsions, I decided I was going to go for a walk.

I usually preempt anything in my responses and try to organise everything asap and with as much detail as possible so that I have can have control over a situation but I’m going to go with the flow this time! I can see that my anxiety is high as my instinct always goes against doing this but I’m confident that I can handle whatever happens without doing the compulsions on top.

That's great...well done :) 

12 hours ago, determination987 said:

Thanks 😊. Super anxious today but keeping busy!

How are you getting on?

Good.  Well, not the anxiety but that you are keeping busy.  That seems to really help.  

I've been working on my list of chores / itinerary that I've been putting off (as per the challenge thread).  I'm about a day behind but really really pleased that I've managed to do what I have.  I get major anxiety before I start the task, but once I'm doing it, it's not too bad.  Doing more compulsions than I would like but things are getting done!  I then need to not think about what I did, just move to the next one.  The heat has set me back quite a bit though.