Achievements Thread - Pat on The Back

Hi,

I've been finding the school holidays tough; not able to be mindful when doing things with the kids running about.  

Today, I really struggled to get up and start the day but I turned it around and took the kids to the park, we had coffee with friends after and I managed to put the bins in which is something I have avoided for 4 years (my husband usually does it)!  I'm finding that sometimes, you just need to really dig deep and the rewards are great if you can manage it.

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a super busy work day today, but felt so overwhelmed, tired and anxious first thing this morning. To the point where I didn't think I could make it through the day. But, I ate a big breakfast and got out the house and had such a fantastic day. One, or even a flurry of anxiety inducing thoughts don't have to ruin my day! 

On 17/08/2023 at 23:00, Clicketyclack said:

I had a super busy work day today, but felt so overwhelmed, tired and anxious first thing this morning. To the point where I didn't think I could make it through the day. But, I ate a big breakfast and got out the house and had such a fantastic day. One, or even a flurry of anxiety inducing thoughts don't have to ruin my day! 

That's great.  I've really been struggling to get started in the morning with anxiety.  I want to stay in bed but that makes me worse.  So I have to force myself up and fight...makes such a difference to my mood if I've won :)

Well Done all.  I really admire those of you who have to get out and face work when you can barely function with anxiety, it must be really hard. I've worked but mostly in our own business, so have had some freedom in that respect.  In another, that comes with a whole host of other pressures and responsibilities so I suppose neither us easy :(

Hello guys hope you are all doing well :)

So today was my monthly Tescos delivery to my home and usually (because of my fear of covid) my partner brings it in then uses antibacterial hand gel then soap and then I wash the bathroom sink.

But today I brought the shopping in myself :biggrin: and I didn't clean the sink! Yay :biggrin:

I did still use antibacterial hand gel and then soap but I'm pretty pleased with myself.

My anxiety is pretty bad about the sink not being cleaned but I'm going to put up with it and not give in! :boxing:

I hope you are all having some wins today! :group:

3 hours ago, sillykitten said:

So today was my monthly Tescos delivery to my home and usually (because of my fear of covid) my partner brings it in then uses antibacterial hand gel then soap and then I wash the bathroom sink.

But today I brought the shopping in myself :biggrin: and I didn't clean the sink! Yay :biggrin:

I did still use antibacterial hand gel and then soap but I'm pretty pleased with myself.

My anxiety is pretty bad about the sink not being cleaned but I'm going to put up with it and not give in! :boxing:

That's brilliant Kitten....Well Done.  You had some wonderful achievements.  What does your partner think?.

Thank you so much @Caramoole :hug:

Yes they are pretty big steps for me I had my doubts I could do it but nothing ventured nothing gained :biggrin:

He said he was proud of me and enjoyed having a rest playing fallout while I did all the work haha.

My mum was proud too and she is so happy now that I feel ready to see her again.

It's been 3 years and 8 months since I last visited :crybaby:

It's my next goal :biggrin: I'm terrified but so excited!

Thank you @taurean :)

I'm sorry to hear you have had a bad episode. Well done for getting control and making things more normal again it isn't easy.

I too must work on being present, I read that meditation can help with that and was thinking of giving it a go as my mind is everywhere but the hear and now.

Thanks for the reminder to work on that :)

1 hour ago, sillykitten said:

Thank you so much @Caramoole :hug:

Yes they are pretty big steps for me I had my doubts I could do it but nothing ventured nothing gained :biggrin:

He said he was proud of me and enjoyed having a rest playing fallout while I did all the work haha.

My mum was proud too and she is so happy now that I feel ready to see her again.

It's been 3 years and 8 months since I last visited :crybaby:

It's my next goal :biggrin: I'm terrified but so excited!

Aww...Bless You.......you're doing so well.  It's awful how much OCD can take but hang on to how much you can achieve once you find that foothold and find the courage to go for it.  As you've demonstrated, as unachievable as it seemed.....deep in there, you can do it.....and you are doing.  Well Done - be justifiably proud.  Keep gping

Made the decision to buy a newspaper today and check out the main stories.

This year I have been overcooking exposure work on the news, I got too confident, and I got overwhelmed and this created an OCD upset.

Finding that happy medium of enough exposure, maintaining the response prevention of not connecting, reading  noting and moving on, is the goal - and I do have to stop getting over-confident.

So a necessary update on the main stories had to be done.

And one needs of course  to have an essential grasp of  events for social activity.

Well,  I can't claim to like a lot of the main stories at the moment, but - horrible though some may be - I was able to take them on board and let them go.

7 minutes ago, taurean said:

Made the decision to buy a newspaper today and check out the main stories.

This year I have been overcooking exposure work on the news, I got too confident, and I got overwhelmed and this created an OCD upset.

Finding that happy medium of enough exposure, maintaining the response prevention of not connecting, reading  noting and moving on, is the goal - and I do have to stop getting over-confident.

So a necessary update on the main stories had to be done.

And one needs of course  to have an essential grasp of  events for social activity.

Well,  I can't claim to like a lot of the main stories at the moment, but - horrible though some may be - I was able to take them on board and let them go.

That's great.  Glad you managed to get back :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone! I started therapy after years of being too scared. I like my therapist and she doesn’t want me to feel ashamed. I’m telling her my big ‘real event’ next week, which I’ve not told anyone but the person involved. We are also going to work through things on a scale because I advocated about maybe having- OCD. We are writing out a plan for me to talk to my boyfriend about a problem (maybe confess?) but if my anxiety goes down I may not need to and it’ll just be a therapy tool to keep to ourselves.

2 hours ago, Spicypepper said:

Hi everyone! I started therapy after years of being too scared. I like my therapist and she doesn’t want me to feel ashamed. I’m telling her my big ‘real event’ next week, which I’ve not told anyone but the person involved. We are also going to work through things on a scale because I advocated about maybe having- OCD. We are writing out a plan for me to talk to my boyfriend about a problem (maybe confess?) but if my anxiety goes down I may not need to and it’ll just be a therapy tool to keep to ourselves.

That's great that you like your therapist, that's really important.  Sounds like you have a positive plan.  Take it a day at a time.  There will be good and bad days.  So always be kind to yourself and fully open with your therapist.  Good luck :)

It's not been fun, but I have been sitting with several different intrusions today, which came at different times.

I know they are OCD and I just let them be. It's been difficult to function whilst these intrusions have stuck in my conscious mind, but I do agree with my friends here that there have to be periods when we need to let those thoughts in and experience them, so our brains can realise that they aren't actually a threat at all, although they come in as unpleasant.

Edited by taurean

Got up early and managed to get all the rubbish out that had backed up and filled the utility room over last month, started to tidy bedroon and clean floors without too many compulsions or compensation routines...... Was tough but feel sense of relief now it's done.... Even managed trip to supermarket without too much over thinking.

Still lots to do, but tired now....feels like massive step forward after almost complete 'action paralysis' over previous two days. Gonna have a chillout in front of movie for a bit

On 23/08/2023 at 18:24, sillykitten said:

That's brilliant...... Huge achievement..... So tough, but you did it! 

6 hours ago, Busy Fool said:

That's great that you like your therapist, that's really important.  Sounds like you have a positive plan.  Take it a day at a time.  There will be good and bad days.  So always be kind to yourself and fully open with your therapist.  Good luck :)

Thanks so much @Busy Fool I appreciate it, good luck to you too.

My husband has been so supportive after my diagnosis . Our son is 7 months old and I’ve found ocd and being a new mum hugely challenging but im encouraging myself to go out everyday and show my son the world so we had a lovely walk along a new part of the nearby river today and I felt like my old self again for a while. 

15 hours ago, Jen124m said:

My husband has been so supportive after my diagnosis . Our son is 7 months old and I’ve found ocd and being a new mum hugely challenging but im encouraging myself to go out everyday and show my son the world so we had a lovely walk along a new part of the nearby river today and I felt like my old self again for a while. 

That's amazing.  I know how difficult it is to get out of the house with a baby, let alone with OCD.  Well done :) 

19 hours ago, Constantcleaner said:

Got up early and managed to get all the rubbish out that had backed up and filled the utility room over last month, started to tidy bedroon and clean floors without too many compulsions or compensation routines...... Was tough but feel sense of relief now it's done.... Even managed trip to supermarket without too much over thinking.

Still lots to do, but tired now....feels like massive step forward after almost complete 'action paralysis' over previous two days. Gonna have a chillout in front of movie for a bit

Wow, well done.  You sound a bit like me this week.  I challenged myself every day to get on top of housework.  I'm finding, just rolling my sleeves up and getting on with it, really rewarding.  I was avoiding stuff which was just making the problem bigger. 

22 hours ago, taurean said:

It's not been fun, but I have been sitting with several different intrusions today, which came at different times.

I know they are OCD and I just let them be. It's been difficult to function whilst these intrusions have stuck in my conscious mind, but I do agree with my friends here that there have to be periods when we need to let those thoughts in and experience them, so our brains can realise that they aren't actually a threat at all, although they come in as unpleasant.

Hope they are easing a bit now.  Well done for not going along with them...