Just a place to chat

Just had another interesting and mood lifting botanical moment.  My neighbour has just bought a baby Venus flytrap.  He has just been telling me about it. He catches flies in his back yard and then holds them close to the plant.  They snap the flies up faster than the blink of an eye.

I have never seen one before.  I always try to learn something new each day.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was several days into May when I realised my calendar was still showing April's bird.  When I turned the leaf it revealed a songthrush.  The last time I saw a songthrush for real was back in 2016 while walking on Wandsworth Common.  I wonder where they are all going.

Anyway, my new lavender plant (a real one) is really bursting into life.  It has got many little flowers on it now.

• 2 weeks later...

Ross,

In the words of 'Laurel and Hardy' - ...everything is fine and dandy.

Did you know that Stan Laurel was born in Ulverston?  Not a million miles from me.  He is one of my all time comic heroes.

5 hours ago, northpaul said:

Did you know that Stan Laurel was born in Ulverston?  Not a million miles from me.  He is one of my all time comic heroes.

Have you seen the film 'Stan and Ollie'? What did you think of it? I thought Steve Coogan was fabulous! Could have been Stan's twin. :)

38 minutes ago, snowbear said:

'Stan and Ollie'

Seen it twice.  It to me back to childhood when Laurel and Hardy were regularly on Saturday morning telly.  I have also been to the L&H musuem in Ulverston - a good day out.

That is good to hear northpaul, I never knew that he was from Ulverston, I did quite enjoy Laurel and Hardy when I have seen it although it has been a few years now since I last watched it. 

Edited by Ross Knight
31 minutes ago, northpaul said:

when Laurel and Hardy were regularly on Saturday morning telly

That takes me back a few years! I remember Saturday morning TV. I think the piano on the stairs one must have been shown at least once every year. :laugh:

Talking about wild cats - I have just been viewing the website of the Highland Wildlife Park.  There is some good stuff in there about their wildcats and how the park is working on the conservation programme.  Worth a look! 

I saw a yellow hammer today, northpaul, in a field of potatoes (I live next to a farm). I don't know what happened to song thrushes, they used to be common here but haven't seen one for years, plenty of mistle thrushes though.

New month = new bird.  This is a 'virtual' bird though.  I have just turned my calendar over to June to reveal a picture of a beautiful Greenfinch.  I wonder where they usually live, I can't recall ever having seen one.

1 hour ago, northpaul said:

New month = new bird.  This is a 'virtual' bird though.  I have just turned my calendar over to June to reveal a picture of a beautiful Greenfinch.  I wonder where they usually live, I can't recall ever having seen one.

I've seen greenfinches near me in West Lancashire on the Leeds-Liverpool canal. They tend to live in hedgerows and bushes near farmland. According to the RSPB website they can be found all over the country but they're on the red list for how endangered they are sadly 😞

Screenshot_20220601-181239.png

4 hours ago, Lynz said:

They tend to live in hedgerows and bushes near farmland.

Aha, that explains why I haven't noticed them much, I live in quite a built up area.  Anyway, thanks for your contribution.

10 hours ago, northpaul said:

Aha, that explains why I haven't noticed them much, I live in quite a built up area.  Anyway, thanks for your contribution.

You're welcome Paul ☺️. I'm a bit obsessed with birds myself haha.

• 4 weeks later...

July 1st means a new bird on my calendar.  This month it is a Blue Tit.  Easily recognise them, I can see them without leaving my chair.  They always cheer me up with their bright and vibrant colours.

I also saw a male blackbird the other day on my back fence.  He was hunting for food.    🐦

Nice!  I love birds.  There is some sort of cool water bird that hangs out at my local park.  I think it’s a heron or an egret but I’m not entirely sure.  

• 4 weeks later...

August 1st brings a new bird to my fridge calendar.  This month it is a Green Woodpecker.  It looks very colourful.  The RSPB site says it is quite common in England and Wales and they like to eat ants, ants and ants.

I dont recall when I last saw one.  That is the down side of living in a built up area.