Just a place to chat

5 hours ago, northpaul said:

August 1st brings a new bird to my fridge calendar.  This month it is a Green Woodpecker.  It looks very colourful.  The RSPB site says it is quite common in England and Wales and they like to eat ants, ants and ants.

If you see one, send it my way. I'll give it a home on my porch eating the ants that nest under the front door!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Another month is here and so brings a new bird on my fridge calendar.  This month it is a nuthatch.  I dont recall ever seeing one but it is apparently a common resident bird.  It can be seen all year round in England, Wales and southern Scotland.

I have just had a look on the RSPB site and it looks a quite colourful bird and about 6 to7 inches long and predominently lives in woodland.  Unsurprisingly  it's diet is mainly nuts!  It also likes insects and seeds.

I like doing things like this, it keeps my mind in positive mode.

• 4 weeks later...

November brings a Long-tailed Tit to my fridge calendar.  I am sure I have seen these when looking out of my window.  They are resident in around 90% of UK and can be seen in woodland, farmland and urban settings.

Easy to identify - it has along tail and bodywise the same size as the others tits.  They mainly eat insects.

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, 8888 said:

What is this month's bird?

Well there are no surprises.  It is our seasonal friend the Robin.  I do see the robin bobin' into my back yard looking for winter scraps.  Always recognisable with his warm red breast!  

Next year will see something different - my new calendar is 'Scenic Britain'.  Where will that take us?

10 hours ago, northpaul said:

Well there are no surprises.  It is our seasonal friend the Robin.  I do see the robin bobin' into my back yard looking for winter scraps.  Always recognisable with his warm red breast!  

Next year will see something different - my new calendar is 'Scenic Britain'.  Where will that take us?

Nice!  I love robins.  Scenic Britain sounds cool too.

• 4 weeks later...
On 08/12/2022 at 10:16, northpaul said:

my new calendar is 'Scenic Britain'.  Where will that take us?

Wow, January has kicked off with a cracker.  It is a picture of Stob nan Cabar (aka Buachaille Etive Beag).  It is situated at the head of Glencoe and at the western flank of Rannoch Moor.  I have just had a 'virtual' trip up there for my lunch - beautiful views!

In reality I have not been up that one.  However I did walk/scramble up it's twin, Buachaille Etive Mor many years ago.  What did I see at the summit?  Yes, Scotch Mist.  I have many memories of Scotch Mist.  Looking on the bright side I also have many memories of some wonderful views from the Scottish mountain tops.   ⛰️   🚶‍♂️