Can anyone tell what are the most likely causes of ocd?.

Are their any preventive measures in OCD?.

Is there any specific gene expression associated with OCD?.

Can it be cured completely?.

May God save all from it, Pain the suffering is beyond anyone's capibility to tolerate?.

Unending nightmare are worst of all.

My view is there are tons of causes but it's hard to say person to person. For example some people with OCD had awful childhoods while others had great childhoods etc. There's loads of research into possible causes but I'm not sure there's anything definitive. I've only known one person in the quarter century since my diagnosis who described himself as cured. Many people have a very good quality of life while living with it though.

If you can find the cause of your own you can work on that directly rather than just the symptoms.  

Often it’s a coping mechanism for a personality disorder.  Personality disorders usually can be traced to a specific way of being raised as it’s usually pretty similar between people & they have the same characteristics.  

7 hours ago, Handy said:

If you can find the cause of your own you can work on that directly rather than just the symptoms.  

Often it’s a coping mechanism for a personality disorder.  Personality disorders usually can be traced to a specific way of being raised as it’s usually pretty similar between people & they have the same characteristics.  

This is not factual.  

21 hours ago, Handy said:

Completely untrue. 

15 hours ago, Caramoole said:

This is not factual.  

And you know this because of what? What is your evidence? Can you elaborate?  OcdUk does talk about personality disorders.  

1 hour ago, Handy said:

And you know this because of what? What is your evidence? Can you elaborate?  OcdUk does talk about personality disorders.  

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. You said it. You prove it.

On 28/01/2022 at 02:07, Handy said:

Often it’s a coping mechanism for a personality disorder.

I take issue with the use of the word "Often" as though it is a common cause of OCD.  As PB says, I am not the one making extraordinary claims here.  I appreciate you may have your own view but I onject when you peddle them as fact in a way that could misinform someone trying to learn about the condition.  Don't be surprised if the claims you make are challenged Handy

23 hours ago, PolarBear said:

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. You said it. You prove it.

“An important issue in assessing comorbidity is the fact that non-response to treatment often involves the presence of comorbid conditions. Non-responsive patients are more likely to meet criteria for comorbid axis I or axis II disorders and the presence of a specific comorbid condition could be a distinguishing feature in OCD, with influence on the treatment adequacy and outcome (Pallanti and Quercioli, 2006). ”

Treat the personality disorder & it treats the coping mechanisms, like OCD. Pretty basic information.  

Where is OCD UK’s discussion of personality disorders?

A claim as to the cause of OCD is very different to a statement about comorbidity and treatment resistance.

Comorbid conditions under axis 1 and axis 2 disorders constitutes a very broad lists of diagnoses under the DSM classification system.

Basically the quote is saying that having two separate diagnoses of mental disorder may lead to problems in treating OCD. There is no evidence that the root of the problem in OCD is having a personality disorder.

29 minutes ago, Angst said:

A claim as to the cause of OCD is very different to a statement about comorbidity and treatment resistance.

Comorbid conditions under axis 1 and axis 2 disorders constitutes a very broad lists of diagnoses under the DSM classification system.

Basically the quote is saying that having two separate diagnoses of mental disorder may lead to problems in treating OCD. There is no evidence that the root of the problem in OCD is having a personality disorder.

Absolutely!!  And completely different to the sweeping statement you (Handy) made.  As is another of your favourites that suggest that OCD will  likely resolve age 25 due to changes in the amygdala

19 hours ago, Handy said:

“An important issue in assessing comorbidity is the fact that non-response to treatment often involves the presence of comorbid conditions. Non-responsive patients are more likely to meet criteria for comorbid axis I or axis II disorders and the presence of a specific comorbid condition could be a distinguishing feature in OCD, with influence on the treatment adequacy and outcome (Pallanti and Quercioli, 2006). ”

Treat the personality disorder & it treats the coping mechanisms, like OCD. Pretty basic information.  

First, OCD is not a coping mechanism. You say that a lot, but you've never backed that claim up. As far as I'm concerned, the claim is without merit.

Second, the quote you posted above makes perfect sense, but it is clear you don't understand what it means.

It does not state that OCD is usually comorbid with another disorder. And more importantly, it refers to "non-responsive" patients. What it is saying is that patients that do not respond to standard OCD therapies (CBT) are more likely to have a comorbid disorder. It does not say that the majority of OCD sufferers have comorbid disorders.

Read it again.