Panicking in the middle of the night

Hi everybody, it’s currently 4am and I’ve woken up from quite a scary dream. I feel like I’m having a panic attack as I’ve woken up in such a bad state where I feel weak and shaky :( I woke up with these strong urges I was going to hurt somebody. I was doing so so well and now I could just cry, I know I’m in a panicky state but will I be okay? I’m sorry I know I’m just currently in a panic attack state but I keep thinking something is going to jump out at me too (fear I’ll start hallucinating) I don’t know what’s going on as I haven’t felt these strong sensations and feelings in such a long time. 

This happens to me too. If you looked back through my posts you will see most of mine are in night.  You will forget the scary dream and it will pass but I know how you feel when it has just happened. 

Coming on here is good because it shifts your focus to this forum, it often helps me and by the time I have typed I have calmed down a bit. Also I go on my phone and watch something light, usually old 90s comedy on Netflix for a bit and I usually doze back off. If my body is numb ,I force myself to get up and make a cuppa, and this is harder than it sounds sometimes, because it's very grounding back into reality.

I hope this helps and you get some rest.

9 minutes ago, ecomum said:

This happens to me too. If you looked back through my posts you will see most of mine are in night.  You will forget the scary dream and it will pass but I know how you feel when it has just happened. 

Coming on here is good because it shifts your focus to this forum, it often helps me and by the time I have typed I have calmed down a bit. Also I go on my phone and watch something light, usually old 90s comedy on Netflix for a bit and I usually doze back off. If my body is numb ,I force myself to get up and make a cuppa, and this is harder than it sounds sometimes, because it's very grounding back into reality.

I hope this helps and you get some rest.

@ecomumThank you so much for your kind reply :) it’s currently 5am and I am quite nervous to go back to sleep, but I’ve popped the telly on so I’m listening to something else in the background like you said, it really does help especially when it’s in the middle of the night. 

I did write that post when it was at the peak but it’s like you generally are just in a state of panic and everything is so heightened and intense - panic attacks over intrusive thoughts are The worst!! But you’re reply was actually so helpful thank you so so much :) I do find as well when I’m in a state of extreme panic and need somebody to talk too, because it’s in the middle of the night and everybody is asleep I always text SHOUT to 85258  which is the shout crisis text line, I find it easier to message a helper instead especially in the middle of the night so that helps :) 

Nights are worse because there are no distractions or things to get us busy. I don't like to wake my family because they need their rest ,so definitely coming on here and yes shout is a good idea. Just doing a small task, even if it's popping to the bathroom can bring focus back to reality. 

Glad I could help. It will pass.