Hi everyone,

I have become increasingly good at not seeking reassurance .however in the past I have .

Now I am finding that whenever I do something or express an opinion certain people either say its my 'anxiety' or don't take me seriously.these concerns are not ocd related . The people concerned just don't take anything I say seriously. 

It is not everyone but the people who do are in my life a lot. I know it's about them being insensitive and patronising and not about me but it is very frustrating.

I am a professional and a mum of five well raised older children but I get treated like I'm incapable and stereotyped by certain  people.

Has anyone else experienced this or have any advice hoe I can deal with it.

Thank you 

2 hours ago, ecomum said:

Has anyone else experienced this or have any advice hoe I can deal with it

I haven't but probably because I've never shared my OCD with anyone, so it's not on the table.  You have to be quite assertive and if people are being dismissive & patronising, calmly call them out.  Don't ever let people put you down if it's unwarranted & incorrect.  People tend to treat you as you let them, don't let them... be your own person :)

Thank you for your reply Caramoole. I think you are right about calmly calling them out. I find it hard because I end up bursting into tears and then looking non assertive then they get even more patronising and believe they are even more right.

Its so hard with ocd because I have such low self esteem and on any given day I am worried I have harmed someone so I am already mentally dealing with that, so I am questioning myself and my feelings already.

People refer to my 'anxiety' and my crying , 'oh you'll get anxious at this ' ,'oh this will make you cry' like it's a free for all discussion. I know it's these couple of people's rudeness and insensitivity but it undermines me in work ,home decisions etc.

I think you are right about being assertive , I may look for some self help I this area.

Thank you kindly ?