I’ve been mistakenly fined and now I’m worrying.

Hello everybody,

My OCD is really making me worry. I’ve received this letter from the environmental agency saying I’ve dumbed a bag with all my belongings and personal letters inside and how I’ve been fined £150. I will pay it but I can honestly say I do not know how it got there and now I’m so upset. I have a feeling my dad dumped all the black bags but one black bag was for me to keep in the garage, I’m so upset as I have no idea still how it got there as I don’t go outside around the fields in my area :( it wasn’t me who actually littered and now I’m being fined so much money I do not have. I’m scared it’s going to go on my records it won’t will it? 

I’ve just found out the bag was found about 20 minutes from where I live, I don’t know why it would be there I don’t even drive? I’m so sorry I just have all of these fears now like what if somebody’s trying to set me up my mums screaming at me saying I’m not sensible its all my fault ?

You answered the question already.  Your dad flytipped some stuff and because your personal info was in there it was tracked back to you.  That's all there is to it.  It's a pain in the tits but that's all it is.  

Hi Summer,

As I understand, if you've received a Fixed Penalty Notice then once it is paid, that's it dealt with (no criminal record). In essence, once you've paid the fine then you've discharged yourself from liability to prosecution.

However, you should be able to dispute the fine if you disagree with the offence. There should be details of how to do this from your local council. You should be able to give details/evidence of how it wasn't you that committed the offence and receive notification from the council. Then they should write back to you of their decision.

However, if they decide that the fine is correct, then you would need to pay the fine otherwise it would proceed to court.

It may be worth contacting the council, explaining the situation and discussing your options with them.

Also, please try and take a deep breath. I know it can be worrying to get a fine through the post as it's unexpected and feels very formal. It's easily sorted though and you can sort it. Don't let OCD latch on and twist it into something else. Contact the council, explain the situation and either dispute the fine or pay it and the matter is dealt with. Sorry, that this has happened but you will sort this.

Edited by determination987

Just on a practical note, a shredder would be a useful thing to get hold of.  I shred anything that has my details on it before I put the paper in my recycle bin.  Personal information is becoming big business in the criminal world.

1 hour ago, determination987 said:

Hi Summer,

As I understand, if you've received a Fixed Penalty Notice then once it is paid, that's it dealt with (no criminal record). In essence, once you've paid the fine then you've discharged yourself from liability to prosecution.

However, you should be able to dispute the fine if you disagree with the offence. There should be details of how to do this from your local council. You should be able to give details/evidence of how it wasn't you that committed the offence and receive notification from the council. Then they should write back to you of their decision.

However, if they decide that the fine is correct, then you would need to pay the fine otherwise it would proceed to court.

It may be worth contacting the council, explaining the situation and discussing your options with them.

Also, please try and take a deep breath. I know it can be worrying to get a fine through the post as it's unexpected and feels very formal. It's easily sorted though and you can sort it. Don't let OCD latch on and twist it into something else. Contact the council, explain the situation and either dispute the fine or pay it and the matter is dealt with. Sorry, that this has happened but you will sort this.

Thank you so much for your friendly advice, on the penalty fine letter it has the time and date which I ‘would’ve’ done it and I actually have proof I couldn’t have as there’s a video on my Snapchat saved which shows I was actually at home. But I’m to scared to go against it and my ocd is telling me I shouldn’t and bad things will happen and that I’m a bad person now this is under my name :( I’m having to call ‘breathing space’ as I can’t afford the fine at all right now, I’m completely skint as I am on universal credit and get paid every 21st of the month. I don’t like the idea of being in debt and none of my family members are willing to help me even though it wasn’t me who did this x

Just now, northpaul said:

Just on a practical note, a shredder would be a useful thing to get hold of.  I shred anything that has my details on it before I put the paper in my recycle bin.  Personal information is becoming big business in the criminal world.

I agree, it was meant to be shredded but I think because a lot been going on I just assumed it had been thrown. I may now might change my bank details just in case. It’s just a shame what’s happened and I hope I can find out who did it.

1 hour ago, ocdjonesy said:

You answered the question already.  Your dad flytipped some stuff and because your personal info was in there it was tracked back to you.  That's all there is to it.  It's a pain in the tits but that's all it is.  

I’m not 100% sure if it’s my dad but it sounds like something he would’ve done for sure. I think because I’m going through a lot little things like the penalty fine isn’t really needed?it’s like when is the world going to give us a break you know.

4 minutes ago, Summer9173 said:

Thank you so much for your friendly advice, on the penalty fine letter it has the time and date which I ‘would’ve’ done it and I actually have proof I couldn’t have as there’s a video on my Snapchat saved which shows I was actually at home. But I’m to scared to go against it and my ocd is telling me I shouldn’t and bad things will happen and that I’m a bad person now this is under my name :( I’m having to call ‘breathing space’ as I can’t afford the fine at all right now, I’m completely skint as I am on universal credit and get paid every 21st of the month. I don’t like the idea of being in debt and none of my family members are willing to help me even though it wasn’t me who did this x

I understand and it's not fair as you haven't done it. Firstly, call up the authority or look online at their policy on whether you can challenge the fixed penalty - their details should be on the notice. You would then be able to prove that it wasn't you and even if they disagree, you should have time still to pay the fine. If you have difficulty paying the fine, call them up and explain this and see if they will help you. Don't ignore the notice. Give them a call now, as it will give you more time and will allow you to move forward and not let OCD distort it for you. 

4 hours ago, determination987 said:

This... if you didn't dump the bag, or ask someone else to dump the bag then although it will be anxiety provoking I would appeal it Summer. The onus needs to be on them to prove you dumped it I would assume. 

Hello everybody, I ended up paying the fine as I was to anxious to not pay it. I didn’t have the money either which was awful and had to ask my boyfriend if I was able to borrow the money which luckily he agreed too :) now that I’ve paid it I do feel better but because I didn’t do it I’m still annoyed and I’m also going to appeal, if they give me my money back then they’ll do that but I know I didn’t do it and I even have proof. It’s just horrible to whoever let me take the blame and see me struggle on my own.