Distinguishing between real worries and OCD

Hey guys!

Really struggling at the moment distinguishing between what is right to worry about and what is OCD. I have a specific worry in my head at the moment and it feels very real. In the past my worries about this topic have been false memory, but I know that this happened. I've checked with friends and most say that it isn't a big deal, but I feel like I can't move on from it and need to confess about it. What do I do???

Difficult to comment without the context. For me, you can have exaggerated anxiety involving compulsions in reaction to a real threat. I suppose compulsions can be defined as unnecessary behaviours in response to a perceived or actual threat. Also being obsessional or excessively preoccupied with a perceived or real threat crowds out the enjoyable features of life. 

Edited by Angst
39 minutes ago, Angst said:

I suppose compulsions can be defined as unnecessary behaviours in response to a perceived or actual threat.

That is a concise way of putting it.  I like that one - I will put it in my therapy notes.

I think it's when you realise you're performing excessive compulsive behaviour. I can spend all day every day researching things online trying to find an answer to something even forgetting to eat. Even if I was genuinely into a subject, that's probably not normal.  

17 hours ago, Wanderer said:

I think it's when you realise you're performing excessive compulsive behaviour. I can spend all day every day researching things online trying to find an answer to something even forgetting to eat. Even if I was genuinely into a subject, that's probably not normal.  

OCD craves certainty.  It can’t take uncertainty.