Eating disorders..An OCD theme?

Hi guys.

I'll keep this as concise as possible. Having learnt much about OCD over the last decade or so , and now having a friend with Anorexia, the more I think about it the more I look upon Anorexia and other EDs as OCD about food and weight. I fail to see how they're not. I'd be happy to be proven otherwise, but no one has explained to me how they're fundamentally different.  It seems because they're about food and there's an obvious physical difference in the sufferer that they've been given another name many years ago... What does everyone think ?

Thanks 

Simon 

There's a definite overlap there.  I've have issues with both.  I can't really say if I have them for the same reasons?  They are both obsessions though and fall within a spectrum of similar behaviours that exist as a function of control though.  Saying anorexia is ocd about food and weight is a bit too off though because it's like saying a hand washing compulsion is about germs if you see what I mean.  It's all a lot more complex than that but essentially yes they're very, very similar and being good at them takes a lot of single minded determination, intense concentration and self hatred.

I've had both and I'm not sure I'd consider them the same, however I think mental health problems are complex and don't come in nice discrete boxes so there is always some overlap. I think obsessions and compulsive behaviour occurs across the mental health spectrum, but the most common definition of OCD is that it is a disorder of intrusive thoughts followed by doubt - which I don't think is the case for many with ED. Eg I don't think many people are anorexic because they were eating their dinner and suddenly had the thought "if I eat the cake my mother will die!" or some similar thought (although there are definitely some people who don't eat because of intrusive thoughts, especially about contamination of food). I know doubt/uncertainty was not a factor in my ED, but it is the driving force for my OCD which is the primary difference, I believe, between them. 

Anorexia can be motivated by many things such as a fear of being unloved or of growing up, rigid beliefs or as a form of addiction to cope with trauma. However, I know there is some recent research which thinks that quite a high percentage of anorexics have undiagnosed autism, and OCD and autism often occur together, so yes it's complex!

2 hours ago, Wren said:

I think mental health problems are complex and don't come in nice discrete boxes so there is always some overlap.

I agree. :yes:

11 hours ago, Quicky said:

no one has explained to me how they're fundamentally different.

I can see a lot of overlap between eating disorders and OCD, but perhaps one difference is that eating disorders tend to be about just one thing (food/ body image) throughout life, whereas OCD often morphs from one theme to another over time (though not in every case.)

2 hours ago, Wren said:

the most common definition of OCD is that it is a disorder of intrusive thoughts followed by doubt - which I don't think is the case for many with ED.

Yet my OCD symptoms don't include intrusive thoughts or doubt! Perhaps a more accurate definition is 'Obsessive thinking that leads to anxiety and compulsive behaviours which attempt to reduce that anxiety.'

As Wren says - these are complex disorders that overlap. Trying to define them in a single sentence is too narrow a view. Putting them all in the same box sometimes only adds to the confusion while keeping them separate has both advantages and disadvantages.

The way I see it, does it matter how you categorise them or what diagnostic label you put on it as long as the individual person gets to the right sort of therapy for them?

6 hours ago, snowbear said:

I agree. :yes:

I can see a lot of overlap between eating disorders and OCD, but perhaps one difference is that eating disorders tend to be about just one thing (food/ body image) throughout life, whereas OCD often morphs from one theme to another over time (though not in every case.)

Yet my OCD symptoms don't include intrusive thoughts or doubt! Perhaps a more accurate definition is 'Obsessive thinking that leads to anxiety and compulsive behaviours which attempt to reduce that anxiety.'

As Wren says - these are complex disorders that overlap. Trying to define them in a single sentence is too narrow a view. Putting them all in the same box sometimes only adds to the confusion while keeping them separate has both advantages and disadvantages.

The way I see it, does it matter how you categorise them or what diagnostic label you put on it as long as the individual person gets to the right sort of therapy for them?

The diagnostic label indicates via NICE recommendations the correct form of therapy.

10 hours ago, Wren said:

I think mental health problems are complex and don't come in nice discrete boxes so there is always some overlap.

Yes, I agree with that one too.  When looking at OCD I think it is always useful to look at it in the wider spectrum of mental health.

I've been thinking about this today and the more I think about mental health diagnosis the more confused I get! Sometimes I just think we should get rid of all labels and just call all psychological problems 'maladaptive coping mechanisms' and call it a day! But I'm also aware that there are genuine differences between 'disorders' and their treatment, despite the overlaps, and this is especially true when it comes to self-help, because without the guidance of a professional the treatment can't be tailored to an individuals exact needs, and incorrectly applied therapy can make things worse. 

I agree with ocdjonesy, in that to say that ED is about food and body image isn't really correct. The underlying motivations can be really varied and may have little to do either food or body image, it just manifests in that way. Binge eating in particular is more akin to alcoholism/addiction than anything else in my experience, and I think it would be odd to describe an alcoholic as having an alcohol obsession (although I guess technically not inaccurate!).

19 hours ago, Handy said:

2% to 8% of those with OCD have eating disorders. But about 48% of those with eating disorders have OCD, so they are often comorbid but are 2 disorders.

My point really is that eating disorders ARE OCD..A theme , no different to someone with fear of germs. So no different 

22 hours ago, ocdjonesy said:

There's a definite overlap there.  I've have issues with both.  I can't really say if I have them for the same reasons?  They are both obsessions though and fall within a spectrum of similar behaviours that exist as a function of control though.  Saying anorexia is ocd about food and weight is a bit too off though because it's like saying a hand washing compulsion is about germs if you see what I mean.  It's all a lot more complex than that but essentially yes they're very, very similar and being good at them takes a lot of single minded determination, intense concentration and self hatred.

I don't understand sorry. Handwashing is a compulsion of an obsession of  germs. So OCD about germs. My point is, for example a compulsion of avoiding food or purging food is a fear of gaining weight or trying to be in control. 

22 hours ago, ocdjonesy said:

1 hour ago, Wren said:

I've been thinking about this today and the more I think about mental health diagnosis the more confused I get! Sometimes I just think we should get rid of all labels and just call all psychological problems 'maladaptive coping mechanisms' and call it a day! But I'm also aware that there are genuine differences between 'disorders' and their treatment, despite the overlaps, and this is especially true when it comes to self-help, because without the guidance of a professional the treatment can't be tailored to an individuals exact needs, and incorrectly applied therapy can make things worse. 

I agree with ocdjonesy, in that to say that ED is about food and body image isn't really correct. The underlying motivations can be really varied and may have little to do either food or body image, it just manifests in that way. Binge eating in particular is more akin to alcoholism/addiction than anything else in my experience, and I think it would be odd to describe an alcoholic as having an alcohol obsession (although I guess technically not inaccurate!).

I think you are spot on with getting rid of labels. I agree. Fast forward this video to 40 mins. Mark says the same about my question. I am quicky789. He addresses me 

Eating disorders have a considerably higher death rate than OCD. Anorexia nervosa has the highest death rate of any mental illness. Real people with real problems need recognised treatments.

Edited by Angst
2 hours ago, Wren said:

Yeah, I agree . I don't think it's all about food and body image sometimes. More a control thing?? ..I'm happy to confess I don't have all the facts about all the symptoms 🤷‍♂️... Is the binging a compulsion?? ...Many manifestations I suppose. But like other mental/obsessional disorders?... Anyway, glad I've found this forum to discuss this. 

33 minutes ago, Angst said:

Eating disorders have a considerably higher death rate than OCD. Anorexia nervosa has the highest death rate of any mental illness. Real people with real problems need recognised treatments.

I appreciate that guys with eating disorders have higher death rates, for obvious reasons. But that doesn't really address the question. Can eating disorders be classed as an OCD type ? How are obsessions and compulsions around food be different to any of the other OCD themes? 

6 hours ago, northpaul said:

Yes, I agree with that one too.  When looking at OCD I think it is always useful to look at it in the wider spectrum of mental health.

OCD  confused with GAD which is very similar but no visible compulsions.

I'm not really sure what the purpose of this conversation is, none of us here are mental health researchers, so I'm going to bow out now.

But I wouldn't say bingeing is a compulsion in the ocd sense, it's generally a physiological reaction to starvation and/or an extreme form of comfort eating. I guess for some people there may be a ritualised component. There also probably more societal components to ED than ocd, but that's opening a whole new can of worms which I'm not willing to do, and like I say I'm not a professional or an academic.

16 hours ago, Wren said:

I'm not really sure what the purpose of this conversation is, none of us here are mental health researchers, so I'm going to bow out now.

But I wouldn't say bingeing is a compulsion in the ocd sense, it's generally a physiological reaction to starvation and/or an extreme form of comfort eating. I guess for some people there may be a ritualised component. There also probably more societal components to ED than ocd, but that's opening a whole new can of worms which I'm not willing to do, and like I say I'm not a professional or an academic.

16 hours ago, Wren said:

You don't need to be a professional or academic... I'd say living with mental health problems is the best research someone can do... 👍

23 hours ago, Handy said:

OCD  confused with GAD which is very similar but no visible compulsions.

Maybe mental complusions?? Like oh **** it's anxiety . Which shows your brain it's important then it sends more worry to 'protect' itself??  Like a snowball effect.. Just an idea 🤷‍♂️