Pure OCD advice

Hi All,

This is a big step for me as I’ve never posted on any forums before and have lived with Pure O on and off for 20+yrs. I was on a low dose of Citalopram 10mg for years and “had” been getting by ok for the past few years there were bad patches (Dad passed and mother has Dementia) but I handled them as best I could. But in Feb I then got Covid, the physical infection wasn’t too bad (+ I didn’t really find all the lockdowns too bad mentally) but since my Covid infection in Feb my pure O OCD and Anxiety has gone through the roof, so bad, think it’s a sign of long Covid? I’ve also been consulting Dr Google which can be a terrible for us OCD sufferers. Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice/tips with old false memories? As they seem to be the worse of it all. Going over past happy events and false memories trying to change things.

I’ve gone up from 10mg to 20mg 2 weeks ago and also my anxiety is bad anyone else know how long until I see even some minor improvements? 4-6?weeks I’ve read. 

Thanks for any advise as if you’re even on this forum you’ll also be suffering in some way.

Thanks again

Phil

3 hours ago, phild said:

I’ve gone up from 10mg to 20mg 2 weeks ago and also my anxiety is bad anyone else know how long until I see even some minor improvements? 4-6?weeks I’ve read. 

It depends but that's correct. In the meantime, have you taken chamomile or tried a video (like ASMR or another relaxing sounds) that helps you calm down?

6 hours ago, phild said:

OCD and Anxiety has gone through the roof

What are you doing to challenge your OCD - the thoughts and mental compulsions?

Just upping the dose of antidepressants isn't going to treat OCD.

2 hours ago, Handy said:

It’s probably GAD you might be thinking of?

:confused1:   Why on earth would you think that?

Pure O is just a made up term, yes. The compulsions are mental rather than physical, but still present. Nonetheless, it doesn't make it GAD!

19 hours ago, phild said:

Hi All,

This is a big step for me as I’ve never posted on any forums before and have lived with Pure O on and off for 20+yrs. I was on a low dose of Citalopram 10mg for years and “had” been getting by ok for the past few years there were bad patches (Dad passed and mother has Dementia) but I handled them as best I could. But in Feb I then got Covid, the physical infection wasn’t too bad (+ I didn’t really find all the lockdowns too bad mentally) but since my Covid infection in Feb my pure O OCD and Anxiety has gone through the roof, so bad, think it’s a sign of long Covid? I’ve also been consulting Dr Google which can be a terrible for us OCD sufferers. Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice/tips with old false memories? As they seem to be the worse of it all. Going over past happy events and false memories trying to change things.

Thanks for any advise as if you’re even on this forum you’ll also be suffering in some way.

Thanks again

Phil

Hi Phild

There is evidence that Covid can aggravate mental conditions including anxiety conditions such as OCD. The reasons why this is so are opaque at the moment so it might well be that increasing medication might indeed  help. Pure OCD is a term where the compulsions are mental so not observable to other person. There is an account of it on this web site. I think substituting good memories for bad or false memories is a good technique and something that I try to engage in. Have you had any therapy such as CBT?

20 hours ago, snowbear said:

:confused1:   Why on earth would you think that?

Pure O is just a made up term, yes. The compulsions are mental rather than physical, but still present. Nonetheless, it doesn't make it GAD!

I asked a question. A question is NOT a statement by any stretch of imagination. It’s a request for more information.

A list of GAD symptoms:

Symptoms

Generalized anxiety disorder symptoms can vary. They may include:

Persistent worrying or anxiety about a number of areas that are out of proportion to the impact of the events

Overthinking plans and solutions to all possible worst-case outcomes

Perceiving situations and events as threatening, even when they aren't

Difficulty handling uncertainty

Indecisiveness and fear of making the wrong decision

Inability to set aside or let go of a worry

Inability to relax, feeling restless, and feeling keyed up or on edge

Difficulty concentrating, or the feeling that your mind "goes blank"

I agree Handy GAD and OCD are very similar in some areas and symptoms cross over often. I had wondered what I had in the past as I have symptoms of both but I definitely have ocd, as there are obviously differences with the 2 disorders, but possibly I have both conditions 

Edited by MarieJo