Feeling really panicky ahead of some challenges... any tips for coping with anxiety?

Okay so this is going to sound silly but part of my responsibility OCD is focused on my lovely golden retriever and on preventing harm from coming to her. I am particularly anxious about being responsible in some way. As a result of this I feel like I cannot walk her or take her out to pee or feed her so one member of my family does all of this. Anyway said family member is going away this weekend and I'm soo anxious. I have a particular fear of her eating one of the mushrooms in the garden (which may be very toxic) or of me accidentally not noticing her eating something harmful or toxic on her walk or at the house. I also have fears of her food becoming contaminated in some way etc. It would probably make sense to let another family member take care of our dog but I'm actually even more anxious about other people taking over than I am about doing it myself so I think I will have to take her out and for walks (with family as I struggle going out alone). 

I imagine this is hard to relate to for people who have other types of OCD (I have contamination and scrupulosity OCD so it feels quite different to that) but I just wondered what to do about the panic in anticipation of having to face some of my OCD fears?

Edited by BelAnna

Hi, something that works for me is to breakdown each step. I struggle with leaving the house so I break it down into stages, allow plenty of time and as I progress each stage the anxiety gets easier to manage. Hope you find a way that works for you.🙂

One thing that I found useful is doing a challenge in stages. So for example you could take the dog for a walk on a lead around the block. Then for a longer walk with the dog on a lead. Then go to a green space and let the dog off the lead for a run around.

As for all anxiety conditions including OCD you are anticipating a worst case scenario. Do you think with all the changes that you have faced in the past few months that your OCD has got worse? My advice like JamesM is to break down the task. In my version with timings and degrees of control.

12 hours ago, James M said:

Hi, something that works for me is to breakdown each step. I struggle with leaving the house so I break it down into stages, allow plenty of time and as I progress each stage the anxiety gets easier to manage. Hope you find a way that works for you.🙂

Thanks James M and Angst for the great advice :).

I managed okay taking her for a walk earlier, albeit on a short lead and constantly scanning the ground! There are so many things (not all dog-care specific!) that I cannot manage to do because of my OCD though so I guess it's good that I've got the opportunity to do this. 

Well done, that’s a great achievement. I am currently trying to focus on blocking intrusive thoughts. It’s so challenging, but glad I am aware they are instructive. Hope you have a pleasant Sunday