Stopping intrusive thoughts

Having had lots of therapy and support, I had a recent massive relapse which unbearable at times. I have gone back into therapy and trying to break the cycle and block my intrusive thoughts. I have regained my awareness of what an intrusive thought is and wondered if anyone has successfully managed to overcome this or any tips please ? TIA

Hi James, what type of therapy have you received? Have you had CBT specially tailored to OCD? When you mention trying to stop or block intrusive thoughts, do you mean that literally, as in you are trying to eradicate the existence of intrusive thoughts from your life? If so you are trying to achieve something that is impossible and are actually engaging in compulsive behaviour which will cause the thoughts to proliferate rather than reduce. You need to learn to accept, be indifferent, and not react to the thoughts rather than get rid of them.

I broke the cycle  of distress by.

Accepting ( from CBT) that the intrusive thoughts of OCD can only harm me if I believe them and connect with them.

So I learned to accept they are just worthless nonsense - the lies  falsehoods exaggerations and revulsion that OCD peddles.

I could then leave the thoughts be - just chattering away in the background,  and follow my therapist's guidance.

I also cut out compulsions. I didn't find this difficult once I accepted that compulsions just strengthen the power of the  OCD, and fix nothing. No one recovered from OCD whilst  carrying out compulsions.

Since I am retired, she noticed I needed a structure to my week, with things to work on with my wife, and alone or with friendly  others. 

She got me to join the local camera club. This has been brilliant, the meetings have been enjoyable andeducationsal, and my images are pretty good now. This Tuesday I have four entered in a club competition.

I have also been signing up for interesting adult education classes. I am currently on my third - roman art and archaeology.

This requires a one- hour round trip to the event venue where the classes are held. And I really enjoy listening to my car's entertainment system on the journey.

Within a short space of time of leaving intrusions be, then getting really busy, and stopping compulsions,  the thought loops that had plagued me slipped away, and my health and happiness improved dramatically. 

I had broken that vicious cycle of distress within my vicious flower diagram.  I am still working this system one year hence and doing well.

Without having the full picture it’s difficult to tell. 
So perhaps return to your gp. 
They might suggest medication to help calm things down. 
Also contact OCD UK & Mind they are very helpful and could give you some direction. 
As far as I’m aware OCD is always with us it’s just whether we choose to listen to it or not. Compulsions make it stronger. It might feel bad while resisting but the more you do it the easier it becomes. It’s breaking habits. 
but definitely seek professional help. 

You can't directly stop obsessions. 

You can cognitively look at obsessions in a new way, see them as junk and not threats. You can slow down and stop your compulsions. When you stop reacting to the thoughts, in time, they will slow down.

Intrusive thoughts are thoughts you don’t put there yourself.  These are not in our direct control just like dreams.They are intruding. 

Thoughts you put there yourself but you don’t want? Don’t react & you can always think about something else. 

It took me 2 years of not reacting to certain intrusive thoughts before they diminished.

On 24/04/2022 at 10:57, James M said:

I have gone back into therapy and trying to break the cycle and block my intrusive thoughts. 

Hi James, as others have said on this post, it's not the thoughts that are the problem but rather the way we react to them.

By trying to block them or by performing other compulsions we validate the thoughts as to having meaning to our brain so that our brains see them as a threat and so urge us to engage with the thoughts so as to resolve the threat.

By not reacting to the thoughts or obsessions, we eventually re-programme our brains to accept that there is no threat and therefore to not react as if there is (IE with anxiety and a need to find a solution).

Hope this helps 🙂

I agree with the others. It is how we react to intrusive thoughts that matters. Such thoughts I label as intrusive and move on. My intrusive thoughts are upsetting and make me feel the need to do something. The secret is to do nothing - do not engage in a compulsion be they mental or physical.