Freaking out - clicked on something

I was talking to a colleague on linkedIn and two words he used (him and to) were separated by a dot instead of a space. Because of that a website appeared below and even though I was anxious to click on it I did it anyway. It was something about dating people and live web cameras. I freaked out and clicked off. But because I was unsure of what I saw the first time, I clicked again, and then again. The site looked weird to me. I'm now worried I clicked on something illegal. Or that because I clicked on it, someone will hack my phone and steal important data. I'm really worried. I wished I never clicked on that! 🤦‍♀️ 

There is nothing illegal on the regular internet....       I have just typed 'him.to' into google and the first thing that comes up is 'what the word 'him' means.'   I also went onto linked in and searched for 'him.to'     absolutely nothing.   Nearest thing was something about gender pronouns.

Get a grip, Cora. You're ruminating like crazy and catastrophising over nothing. :wontlisten:

Learn to recognise what 'ruminating' feels like so next time you get in a tizz like this you can step back from it and calm yourself down instead of falling down the OCD rabbit hole yet again.

44 minutes ago, McW said:

There is nothing illegal on the regular internet....       I have just typed 'him.to' into google and the first thing that comes up is 'what the word 'him' means.'   I also went onto linked in and searched for 'him.to'     absolutely nothing.   Nearest thing was something about gender pronouns.

Hi McW, there was definitely something. 

42 minutes ago, snowbear said:

Get a grip, Cora. You're ruminating like crazy and catastrophising over nothing. :wontlisten:

Learn to recognise what 'ruminating' feels like so next time you get in a tizz like this you can step back from it and calm yourself down instead of falling down the OCD rabbit hole yet again.

I know, snowbear. The website looked so weird, though. I'm now thinking police will knock on my door and I don't know if they'll believe my version of the story. I've had an awful day and when this happened, I felt like hiding under a rock. 

If you genuinely believe that then your thinking is very distorted indeed, bordering on paranoia.

People click on weird looking websites all the time. Then they click off them again and get on with their day without giving it another thought.

You've given yourself an awful day over a meaningless and inconsequential click of the mouse because you fixated on it, and ruminated on it. Yet again, it's your thinking that's the problem, not your actions.

When will you accept that?

48 minutes ago, Cora said:

I know, snowbear. The website looked so weird, though. I'm now thinking police will knock on my door and I don't know if they'll believe my version of the story. I've had an awful day and when this happened, I felt like hiding under a rock. 

Yes Cora because there is no crime and the police have endless time to track everyone who clicks on an illegal link and go to their houses and question them. Sorry to be sarcastic but come on, this is so silly!

But a genuine question Cora, don't you ever do anything to break the rules or anything that is a bit bad just for fun? If you don't, I think you really should try to do a little act of rebellion and enjoy it. I think you take life so seriously (for the most part I do too, I think it comes with being a conscientious but anxious person) but honestly not everything "bad" is a big drama or tragedy. Sometimes being a little bad, not caring, breaking the rules, doing or looking at things or thinking about things you're not supposed to is good for your sanity.

Thank you, @snowbear and @malina.

7 minutes ago, malina said:

Sometimes being a little bad, not caring, breaking the rules, doing or looking at things or thinking about things you're not supposed to is good for your sanity.

Can I please ask for some examples, malina?

Edited by Cora