(not) trusting other people

In all my relationships I analyse the intentions of others, what their actions truly means and if/how/why they might me lying to me or trying to take advantage somehow. There is not one person I haven't felt this way about. I was wondering whether this could be a symptom of OCD. I try to keep mental notes and evidence that support these theories.

I think it came about due to the psychological abuse I experienced growing up. But the EXTENT of these thoughts and how I "need" to think them over and over to make myself safe feels like a compulsion.

It seems that your very anxious as to whether you can trust other people and there does seem to be a compulsive element when you keep notes and evidence to support your theory and ruminate. What about evidence that disconfirms your theory?

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy rests on the notion that patients/clients  have a bias in the way that they process information and therapy revolves around thinking in a different way. So therapy would involve thinking in a different way as to how people might be behaving towards you.

Rumination is what is termed a ‘trans diagnostic’ thing in that it is something people do who have a variety of diagnoses. I think talking over your anxiety with a mental health practitioner would be a good idea in order to formulate a plan to become less suspicious about people. I am sure that not everybody you know or meet has ulterior motives in deceiving or abusing you. Your past experiences could be clouding your judgement.

Hi Thinks2much

The lack of trust in people is understandable after what you've been through but I think you need to work on stopping the rumination which is definitely a compulsion.  Trying to be certain that you are safe is just going to reinforce your belief that you are in danger/people are dangerous and you need to keep mentally checking.

Easier said than done I know but it is possible :)