Waiting times for CBT

My 17 year old daughter has OCD.  After waiting 12 weeks to speak to somebody we have been told that the only help we can be offered is 6 sessions of online therapy. The waiting time for CBT is 12 months.  Can anybody let me know if this is the normal waiting time- is there anything I can do to obtain access to CBT earlier or is my only alternative to obtain treatment privately.   

Hi AliB, sadly I think at the moment that sounds quite typical. In some areas the waiting time for CBT is more like 2 years, which is just criminal IMO.

If you take the offer of online therapy does that mean you won't be able to access proper CBT in 12 months time, or can you still be on the waiting list for CBT while your daughter does the online therapy in the meantime? If the latter is the case then I would accept the offer and see if the online therapy will help her. Some of it is quite good and might help her while she waits for CBT.

Of course you can go private but in my experience the provision varies widely, and there's not as much accountability and oversight as there is in the NHS. It does depend on the therapist though and if you can find one who is accredited by the BABCP (particularly a clinical psychologist rather than a psychotherapist) then that would help a lot.

Thank you so much for your reply.  Yes I understand we can stay on the list (what is currently being offered is self guided therapy) but I couldn’t believe the wait was so long.  I have already seen an escalation of the way my daughter is acting in the last couple of months so really concerned what things maybe like if we just wait for another 12 months.

Finding private help seems so overwhelming and I’m totally confused by what type of therapist to find so thanks for pointing me in the right direction. 

Edited by AliB

My daughter is being supported by Think Well-being which I understand is an IAPT and is using a system called Silver Cloud. This is the only IAPT that comes up when doing a search on the NHS Website. Thanks for the link I will have a look 

5 minutes ago, AliB said:

My daughter is being supported by Think Well-being which I understand is an IAPT and is using a system called Silver Cloud. This is the only IAPT that comes up when doing a search on the NHS Website. Thanks for the link I will have a look 

Hi AliB,

The only other alternative is your daughter could use her Right to Choose through her GP to pick another IAPT service which is out of her local area. Many IAPTs don't see those who are under 18 years old, so you would need to check which ones did. This is an option, but you would need to see what the waiting times were for each IAPT, as waiting times are long in many areas. 

As Lynz said, it's important that your daughter is still on the waiting list for one to one CBT while using SilverCloud so she doesn't have to wait longer than necessary. 

Gemma