Hi everybody, I’m new to the forums I just thought I’d introduce myself. I’ve been suffering from ocd since the age of 18 (I’m now 21) I’m on medication and half way through cbt however my therapist is always having days off and our sessions always seem to land on a bank holiday too - feel like I’m not getting much out of it.

I have harm related ocd, and I’ve just had an argument with my mum which has brought the harm urges on :( i just wanted to ask has anybody with ocd actually acted on these urges and impulses? The only person who helps me is my lovely partner however because I don’t drive (due to the ocd) and live in an isolated town it’s very difficult for me to see him when I need a cuddle. It’s hard for me to get out in general! I just want to know if I’d ever actually act on these impulses? I’m so terrified as I feel like I want to hurt my mum right now But I’d never do that!! Medication doesn’t really help The ocd at all either xx

Hi Jess,

Welcome to the forums :)

I'm sorry to hear that you're finding things difficult at the moment. You mentioned that you're having CBT, is this through the NHS? Have you had many sessions? It could be worth mentioning to your therapist about how you're feeling therapy is going. Have you been able to challenge some of the OCD as part of CBT? 

If you feel your medication isn't working for you, you could also consider a review of the dosage or type of medication with your prescribing doctor. 

It's really common for those with harm based worries to doubt whether or not they will actually hurt someone and OCD always wants certainty that it will never happen. It's hard to answer your question without giving you reassurance, which is just another compulsion. The best advice I can give is to take a leap of faith that you wouldn't harm someone because in truth you really really don't want to. 

There is an excellent self-help book by Adam Shaw and Lauren Callaghan called OCD, Anxiety and Related Depression that you might find helpful. Adam talks about his own struggles with harm worries and Lauren, his therapist, talks about how she helped Adam confront his fears. 

Gemma

33 minutes ago, Gemma@OCDUK said:

Hi Jess,

Welcome to the forums :)

I'm sorry to hear that you're finding things difficult at the moment. You mentioned that you're having CBT, is this through the NHS? Have you had many sessions? It could be worth mentioning to your therapist about how you're feeling therapy is going. Have you been able to challenge some of the OCD as part of CBT? 

If you feel your medication isn't working for you, you could also consider a review of the dosage or type of medication with your prescribing doctor. 

It's really common for those with harm based worries to doubt whether or not they will actually hurt someone and OCD always wants certainty that it will never happen. It's hard to answer your question without giving you reassurance, which is just another compulsion. The best advice I can give is to take a leap of faith that you wouldn't harm someone because in truth you really really don't want to. 

There is an excellent self-help book by Adam Shaw and Lauren Callaghan called OCD, Anxiety and Related Depression that you might find helpful. Adam talks about his own struggles with harm worries and Lauren, his therapist, talks about how she helped Adam confront his fears. 

Gemma

Hello Gemma and thank you :) 

You mentioned maybe discussing medication with my doctor as it isn’t working for my ocd, however I've been on the site for a while anonymously and I’ve seen quite a few people mention that medication doesn’t necessarily help with the ocd, just The anxiety to help you engage in the CBT more? I’m not sure if that’s true it’s only due to my current medication really helping anxiety wise :) 

24 minutes ago, Jess123 said:

Hello Gemma and thank you :) 

You mentioned maybe discussing medication with my doctor as it isn’t working for my ocd, however I've been on the site for a while anonymously and I’ve seen quite a few people mention that medication doesn’t necessarily help with the ocd, just The anxiety to help you engage in the CBT more? I’m not sure if that’s true it’s only due to my current medication really helping anxiety wise :) 

Hi Jess,

People's experiences of medication vary massively, but yes on the whole medication helps alongside CBT. It can make the feelings that come along with OCD and challenging it in CBT easier to cope with. Sometimes the effect of a medication wears off and that might be where you want to change dosage, but it would be completely up to you :)

Gemma