Advice on this would be great xx

Hey guys, so I’ve just woken up from a dream where it was quite vivid (thanks to ocd) and my intrusive thoughts are terribly bad. I’m trying to just let it be because I could feel it coming onto a panic and I feel like I’ve let myself down big time for ruminating about it straight away x 

It’s basically the theme of ‘do you fancy your brother’ and I’m getting quite bad intrusive thoughts. I know it probably doesn’t help because it’s the middle of the night but I think I’m getting myself into a pickle because I’ve got a boyfriend, and automatically when I get these type of thoughts I beat myself up about it because I feel like I’m betraying him. I thought I was doing so well with recovery and now I feel like I’m at the beginning again xx

Hey Summer,

I hope you’ve managed to get some rest. 

Its really important you don’t let moments like this hinder your achievements or Road to recovery. Think about how far you’ve come. This will only hinder your recovery if you let it. You know that I’ve seen my fair share of struggles like everyone else on this forum and so we understand how hard it is. Try to think of what recovery means to you. Does it mean.. never ever getting an intrusive thought again OR does it mean accepting there will be times when you do get these thoughts and learning how to cope with them is the most important. The latter is far more realistic, after all everyone gets distressing thoughts - it’s normal and what makes us human. The issue is that those who suffer from ocd attach meaning to them and can’t let go. Let your dream / thoughts go. Don’t pay attention to them. Label what comes after the thought as ocd and don’t give in. It is impossible for us not to have distressing thoughts and I think it’s really important we remember that (took me a while to realise this). I’ve now accepted that I will always get distressing thoughts - it’s human and everyone does from time to time however I must work on what comes after. 
Let your thoughts go, use some imagery - I like to pop them in a box, padlock it and Chuck it in the sea!

You’re doing well, try to enjoy your Sunday today - I think the weathers going to be nice in many places of the UK today so hopefully you’re somewhere where there will be Sun 🌞 

1 hour ago, Ma29 said:

Hey Summer,

I hope you’ve managed to get some rest. 

Its really important you don’t let moments like this hinder your achievements or Road to recovery. Think about how far you’ve come. This will only hinder your recovery if you let it. You know that I’ve seen my fair share of struggles like everyone else on this forum and so we understand how hard it is. Try to think of what recovery means to you. Does it mean.. never ever getting an intrusive thought again OR does it mean accepting there will be times when you do get these thoughts and learning how to cope with them is the most important. The latter is far more realistic, after all everyone gets distressing thoughts - it’s normal and what makes us human. The issue is that those who suffer from ocd attach meaning to them and can’t let go. Let your dream / thoughts go. Don’t pay attention to them. Label what comes after the thought as ocd and don’t give in. It is impossible for us not to have distressing thoughts and I think it’s really important we remember that (took me a while to realise this). I’ve now accepted that I will always get distressing thoughts - it’s human and everyone does from time to time however I must work on what comes after. 
Let your thoughts go, use some imagery - I like to pop them in a box, padlock it and Chuck it in the sea!

You’re doing well, try to enjoy your Sunday today - I think the weathers going to be nice in many places of the UK today so hopefully you’re somewhere where there will be Sun 🌞 

Good morning Ma, thank you so much for your kind reply 💖 this forum page honestly keeps me going on the days I feel to weak or when I feel like I can’t go on i can honestly say it’s saved my life. The weather outside already looks really  sunny i was meant to go round my friends house this evening. Straight away because I’ve had quite a lot of vivid dreams because of the escitalopram (i get so many vivid dreams in one night and there all based on my fears) it’s sort of like how I avoid watching programs with harm or of a sexual nature and then it comes in my head while I’m dreaming like I’m actually watching the movie/programs anyway!! I know I should go to my friends house and not avoid it I just think them multiple dreams have exhausted me out quite a lot 🤕 but I’m getting a lot better at noticing it is ocd. I have my therapy session tomorrow morning so I’m going to mention to her how i still feel the need to hide all the knives too xx