Sheldon Cooper

I know that OCD characters have been shown in films and on tv, and whether you think that Jim Parsons got Sheldon right or not, I just found the fun and funny approach to the condition made me laugh. Keeping a sense of humour is always a good way of reducing the power of anxiety.

Whether it was his obsession with germs and cleanliness, his rituals and need for order, or just his need to feel in control, I found it relatable and because it was a popular comedy it made the condition more accessible to many others(let's face it everyone is on the OCD spectrum!).

I felt like I was seeing someone who thinks like me for the first time on tv. Also they showed how a small event say when Sheldon was young could be exaggerated by anxiety and grow to become a serious phobia in later life.

This is another example of OCD humour from The League of Gentlemen. I do find comedy and stand up is a good release, probably some neurotransmitters involved.

There's a boring bit in the middle about onanism, But this is the Denton Family's uber OCD bathroom.

(Although I do have colour coded towels for different parts of the body).

But they also have colour coded toilet paper and a little memory rhyme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T58D467HagM&ab_channel=BBCComedyGreats

There's been some talk about relationships between people with OCD and those who aren't.

I'm sure you know Jon Richardson, he calls the former 'putters' and the latter 'leavers' and talks about their relationships.

Jon's OCD started when he was at Uni and he dropped out. He has gone on to make his OCD experiences and viewpoint into an act. I think people with OCD get it, but the 'leavers' are just amazed that anyone would spend their time over thinking everything.

There are also some light hearted YT vids where both he and his wife Lucy Beaumont discuss their relationship.

Stand Up mostly about how to load a dishwasher>            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCApQ2MwhYo&ab_channel=UniversalComedy

• 1 month later...

I think one of the major problems with mental disorders is, unlike physical ones, they can't be seen.

But it is clear that many writers, singers and film makers are finding ways to express their internal thoughts and emotions.

This is a short film by Sindha Agha in which they try to express their panic attacks and fears in a visual form.