A warm welcome to everyone from the Support Groups who has joined the forum to use this new community space! 🙂

I don't want to dictate how you use this forum but just a couple of things to keep in mind:

• Remember that the forums are visible to people outside of the support groups so bear this in mind when sharing personal information - as we use usernames here if you want to let people know who you are in the groups (ie: first name) that is great but there is no obligation to, and please don't bring up anything here that someone else has mentioned in the group as it is their choice what to discuss here as the forums are more visible than the groups.
  • Gemma and I will visit the forums when we can (I am excited to share some pics of my dog!) but if there are any problems here the fastest way to get support is to contact a moderator
  • If you have any private questions about the groups or anything you would like support with, please email us at groups@ocduk.org or support@ocduk.org
  • Feel free to use the other forums here if you would find them useful too!

Hopefully this can expand into a space where we can share resources for tackling OCD and being compassionate to ourselves and a space to share our successes and ask for advice on navigating challenges alongside the conversations we have in the support groups. I also plan to share updates about upcoming themed groups and the group schedules here too. But there is also plenty of space here for non OCD chat too - it would be lovely to hear about the activities we often hear briefly about in the support group chat box - conversations and photos of group member's pets, gardens, recipes & what we've made, hobbies, sports, holidays, what we are watching, reading or playing on PC/consoles etc are all welcome too!   

• Ashley pinned this topic
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I am a university student and I have recently been diagnosed with OCD. A part of me is relieved to know I’m not a bad person who pushes people away, but also, another part of me is sad that I will have to live with this all my life.

I have read a study that states that music helps people with OCD. I love music and it makes me feel more in touch with reality when I feel myself slipping away. I hope this helps some of you. 

- JA

Hi Twistedviolet (JA) - welcome to the forum! I'm glad to hear that your diagnosis has helped to explain things for you. OCD can be incredibly distressing and debilitating, but as a charity we focus on helping people take steps towards recovery and understanding that what you are struggling with is OCD is the first step. We have lots of resources about recovery, let me know if you'd like me to signpost you to some. Recovery looks different for everyone but for me the easiest way to explain it is that OCD used to feel like a heavy, crushing fog surrounding me that it was hard to see beyond. Now it feels more like a bunch of tiny mosquitos buzzing around me - persistent and annoying, but I can swat them away and know strategies for keeping them at bay (doing exposure work especially!)

Music can be so helpful can't it! It's something we've discussed in support groups before too, maybe we should start a music thread to hear what people find particularly helpful 🙂

On 22/06/2022 at 19:30, Twistedviolet said:

Hi there,

I am a university student and I have recently been diagnosed with OCD. A part of me is relieved to know I’m not a bad person who pushes people away, but also, another part of me is sad that I will have to live with this all my life.

I have read a study that states that music helps people with OCD. I love music and it makes me feel more in touch with reality when I feel myself slipping away. I hope this helps some of you. 

- JA

Hi Twistedviolet, 

That's good that your diagnosis has at least partly come as a relief. Do keep in mind that even though OCD is a chronic condition, people can and do get better to varying extents. 

I love music but have had a very serious and stressful few months with barely any music so this thread has reminded me to get back to listening to some so thank you!

4 hours ago, LauraOCDUK said:

Hi Twistedviolet (JA) - welcome to the forum! I'm glad to hear that your diagnosis has helped to explain things for you. OCD can be incredibly distressing and debilitating, but as a charity we focus on helping people take steps towards recovery and understanding that what you are struggling with is OCD is the first step. We have lots of resources about recovery, let me know if you'd like me to signpost you to some. Recovery looks different for everyone but for me the easiest way to explain it is that OCD used to feel like a heavy, crushing fog surrounding me that it was hard to see beyond. Now it feels more like a bunch of tiny mosquitos buzzing around me - persistent and annoying, but I can swat them away and know strategies for keeping them at bay (doing exposure work especially!)

Music can be so helpful can't it! It's something we've discussed in support groups before too, maybe we should start a music thread to hear what people find particularly helpful 🙂

That sounds like a great idea!