OCD always seems to attack me when I’m happy

Hey everybody, how are you all? 

I think I’ve been doing pretty well with my OCD recently :) I’ve started a new job, going out more on my own so I’m really proud of myself …… but then a different ocd theme hits and I end up feeling distressed over it because I’m not used to dealing with the theme. 

It’s always goes to inappropriate sexual thoughts about other ‘inappropriate to have these thoughts about’ people, it’s really frustrating and it’s always when I’m happy and doing really well too 😢 I’m now on my way to my boyfriends house feeling really distressed by these thoughts, I wish I could just go home but I know I need to carry on. 

2 hours ago, Summer9173 said:

I’m now on my way to my boyfriends house feeling really distressed by these thoughts, I wish I could just go home but I know I need to carry on. 

You are an inspiration for more people than you may think, stay strong, you are outplaying this :)

2 hours ago, Summer9173 said:

it’s always when I’m happy and doing really well too 😢

This could be because you are sabotaging yourself, maybe you have fear of being too happy and fall down from there even worse. Or maybe you are happy but it comes with something new in your life and your brain prefers something usual as OCD thoughts... Just keep going and eventually your brain will get used to that new state of mind: hapiness. Best of luck 😉 

Unfortunately that's the nature of the beast, Summer ☹️. The trick is to not get drawn in by these intrusive thoughts by not doing any compulsions. If you do this consistently then the intrusive thoughts should lessen and not get in the way of your happiness.

2 hours ago, NotRock said:

You are an inspiration for more people than you may think, stay strong, you are outplaying this :)

You are so kind @NotRockThank you, I still struggle daily with the ocd, but I think it just gets to a point where you get fed up with how the ocd treats you and you want to enjoy life again. Nothing worth it ever comes easy with anything in life, that also includes healing I’ve really learnt that especially over these past couple of months :) 

I agree with everything you mentioned about the self sabotaging that really is so true. When I’m not ruminating i then think, ‘oh no. I should be worrying, I should be hyper aware of danger in case something happens etc’ but like I said in the above I really just get so fed up with the repetitive, horrible thoughts and how it controls my life. You really can get that control back :) 

2 hours ago, Lynz said:

Unfortunately that's the nature of the beast, Summer ☹️. The trick is to not get drawn in by these intrusive thoughts by not doing any compulsions. If you do this consistently then the intrusive thoughts should lessen and not get in the way of your happiness.

Thank you for your kind reply to Lynz, I just hate the way OCD feels like it can just control people!! OCD is a liar that’s for sure, I think have to get used to good days now too - as strange as that sounds. I’m not used to having multiple good days as I’m so used to the bad, so it’ll be nice to habituate to that but really nerve wracking at the same time :)