Can you have a good career with OCD

Hi everybody, 

It’s probably a little bit of a silly question, but are you able to hold down a good/successful career with OCD? I am finding working helps as a healthy distraction for me, but my OCD is still really prominent. If anything yesterday and this week I’m struggling with it more than usual and I’m scared it’s going to get in the way of me working :( I know i have to keep going now, I’m used to the office and the people inside it’s become a part of my routine. I’m just scared that the pressure will get to me and I won’t be able to cope with the OCD on the job? Although I am really proud of how far I’ve come, before work this morning I went to McDonald’s with my mum :) I think because I’m tired the OCD was still more prominent in there, but before I wouldn’t have even been able to eat in there etc.

57 minutes ago, Summer9173 said:

It’s probably a little bit of a silly question

A really good question and one that we put in our FAQ book actually.  But yes, although like all things OCD it is very individual, it is possible to enjoy your job or have a good career, even during the worst parts of OCD.  I know through my work with the charity there are people from all walks of life and professions, some of whom are very successful.

That's not to say its easy, and I am fairly sure most people with OCD will have to work harder than their colleagues not to allow OCD to interfere, but it is possible to enjoy your chosen career and be successful.   Sadly sometimes OCD does get in the way, but in my case I was able to work around my OCD for the most part. I appreciate that's not always possible.

Sometimes people ask if having OCD makes you better at your job (depending what that may be), and there may be the odd minor benefit such as being more patient and focus on detail, but more often than not OCD will get in the way and turn that focus into an obsession. So I would absolutely ascertain that for all of us, our jobs would be so much easier without OCD which is why I encourage people to keep pursing treatment :)

A good question Summer and keep going, there will be pressures sometimes, but I am sure you will deal with those and continue to enjoy your job.

4 hours ago, northpaul said:

Yes, certainly you can.  If it were not for my ill health retirement I would be back there now.

Thank you @northpaul I try to say to people too it’s never to late! I’m really enjoying this job that I’m currently at, plus I’m eating more healthy too which is a bonus as I never did when I wasn’t working at home 😂😂I’m just hoping it continues going well - I’m really proud of how far I have come though :) 

Thank you Ashley @Ashley :) the charity has really inspired me to do a lot more then I ever thought I could’ve done. The weekly zoom support groups have also helped me more then therapy so thank you for that :) 

That’s really inspiring for me to hear actually, I want to do well in my career and go far I’m just scared I won’t be able to do that because of my OCD :( I’m currently working at my dream apprenticeship and I’m hoping the ocd doesn’t ruin that - so it’s really inspiring when I hear people have been very successful alongside having OCD :) 

I find because I’m enjoying the work I’m doing too, it’s almost like a healthy distraction. I know if I was at home I’d be upset and ruminating, the job in a way has saved my life :) plus it’s only around the corner from my home so it’s a bonus. I hope I’ll be able to fulfil a successful career alongside ocd 🙏 that’s my dream, I know it interferes sometimes and it does feel like I’m working 2 full-time jobs In 1 but I feel more determined than ever to prove it wrong.

I might talk about this subject on the support groups tonight :) 

Edited by Summer9173

Here's a list of fifty famous people from writers to business people who showed OCD tendancies. I think OCD people are usually highly organised and if they can utilise their obsessive tendancies without the compulsions then they can really focus and work on projects intensely. So if they can keep their OCD at a low level they can be successful.

List includes(some diagnosed retrospectively)> Marcel Proust, Martin Scorsese(made the Aviator and also his first short film about OCD), Leanardo DiCaprio(who played Howard Hughes in The Aviator), Charlize Theron, Nikola Tesla, Charles Darwin, etc.

https://www.asrn.org/journal-advanced-practice-nursing/1446-50-famous-and-successful-people-with-ocd.html

In USA workers have rights to accessibility & employers need to have an accessible work place.

I know 3 gals with cleaning OCD who have cleaning businesses.  I asked one about doing compulsions as work & she said she gets paid to do them. 

4 hours ago, Handy said:

In USA workers have rights to accessibility & employers need to have an accessible work place.

I know 3 gals with cleaning OCD who have cleaning businesses.  I asked one about doing compulsions as work & she said she gets paid to do them. 

You couldn’t pay me to do my compulsions; It would never be worth it.

In relation to having a job with OCD, having the job consist of OCD compulsions is obviously not was meant…

And what is ‘Cleaning OCD’? A fear of cleaning?

5 hours ago, Handy said:

I asked one about doing compulsions as work & she said she gets paid to do them. 

When people say this I'm always suspicious that the person is using the colloquial definition of OCD rather than the clinical definition. Being meticulous, clean, tidy, organised, routine based etc. doesn't mean you have the mental health disorder known as OCD. In my experience when you give into compulsions they proliferate, so it would be impossible to do them successfully as a job. 

10 hours ago, Handy said:

That person may or may not have OCD, but I don't think I have ever met a single person with OCD who enjoys compulsions or would want to work at a job that generates more compulsions. 

Eh, I absolutely see what everyone is saying about not wanting to do compulsions but personally I'm gonna be the voice of dissent and say that mine are sometimes very  handy in my job (when they are not getting in the way of me doing it) and in problem solving under time constraints.  I'm a photographer and having just right feelings about symmetry etc can be very useful in that regard and in other ways tied to I supposed what's called 'the creative process'.  And last week I managed to figure out how to get steroid tablets into my cat before I had to take her to vet and make a decision about injections that would have put her at more risk of side effects from long term use by obsessing over it till I worked it out.  🤣

I mean sure, in the case of the cat I literally couldn't stop thinking about it till I solved the problem and I was incredibly stressed out and ok, the first time I ever shot a photograph on film I cried every time I pushed the shutter button because I thought I was somehow ruining something 'perfect' by doing that but essentially what I'm saying is that it's not all bad all the time.  There's positives and negatives to everything and sometimes being able to focus 100% of your attention on something to exclusion of everything else is actually handy - provided you accept you're going to feel like **** afterwards because it's not strictly speaking 'healthy'.

I'm very aware of how much mental energy some people with conditions like OCD or ADHD are using, and that can even leave people physically drained. I have to plan everything in advance(with lists real and in my mind) when I have to achieve something. Otherwise I fear something will go wrong, but I keep telling myself, it's anxiety, only anxiety.

But most of us don't want to be compulsively doing meaningless tasks or thoughts and upset ourselves while using energy.

I think people who have had those conditions long term do think differently and could probably find careers that suit them. I couldn't stand a repetitive boring job, I want my mind to be fully engaged, I need that level of stimulation, a challenge.

I like some Zen art ideas, obsessive planning and preparation before creating, and then just let go.

It wouldn't surprise me if many high achievers from business leaders to artists and creatives had some sort of low level disorder. Many keep quiet because it's theirs and disorders carry stigma(due to ignorance). 

Hi Summer 

I never had OCD all the time, but it came in episodes.

Those episodes could launch out of the smallest little thing, which was annoying. My journey through therapy helped me to break this unhelpful habit.

I found that keeping busy helped,  so I made sure that my work life during the day, and my social and home life, were busy.

Work for me was a blessing as it really suited me, I wanted to get up and go there, enjoyed everything about it, and I wasn't overburdened. My work? providing insurance cover to those needing it. Many of my clients became friends as well, which added to the enjoyment.

The work aided my dealing with OCD  didn't worsen it.

For me, an important element in tackling and managing OCD is beneficial distraction and keeping busy, and work can help tick this box.

Edited by taurean
4 hours ago, taurean said:

For me, an important element in tackling and managing OCD is beneficial distraction and keeping busy, and work can help tick this box.

Key phrase there taurean.  I particularly agree with the managing element of your statement above.  👍

On 15/06/2022 at 00:03, 000 said:

You couldn’t pay me to do my compulsions; It would never be worth it.

In relation to having a job with OCD, having the job consist of OCD compulsions is obviously not was meant…

And what is ‘Cleaning OCD’? A fear of cleaning?

There is a company near me called OCD Cleaning.  But I think you missed my point. It’s not about getting paid to do your compulsions it’s about taking what one knows from doing compulsions & using that as a job. So if OCD taught someone how to do a good job cleaning then they could be a good housekeeper. 

Harm OCD was one of my themes once but I learned protection. So one of my jobs I have now is emergency rescue & response & protection.  But I don’t do it as a compulsion I do it because I’m good at it. 

1 hour ago, Handy said:

It’s not about getting paid to do your compulsions it’s about taking what one knows from doing compulsions & using that as a job. So if OCD taught someone how to do a good job cleaning then they could be a good housekeeper. 

:wontlisten:  Frankly, Handy, I find this insulting.

I worked as a cleaner when I was young. Believe me, having 'OCD about cleanling' made the job harder, not easier.

2 hours ago, Handy said:

Harm OCD was one of my themes once but I learned protection. So one of my jobs I have now is emergency rescue & response & protection. 

I don't see the relevance of 'learning protection' or working in emergency response to harm themes.

Anyway, the point is that OCD is not a personality quirk, or something that makes you good at certain things and therefore suited to particular jobs. It's a thinking disorder. A disabling condition that can destroy lives. It's not a bonus or benefit, not ever.

3 hours ago, Handy said:

There is a company near me called OCD Cleaning.  

Good grief,  a great example of peddling ignorance there. 

On 15/06/2022 at 13:46, Ashley said:

That person may or may not have OCD, but I don't think I have ever met a single person with OCD who enjoys compulsions or would want to work at a job that generates more compulsions. 

Quite

11 hours ago, Handy said:

There is a company near me called OCD Cleaning.  But I think you missed my point. It’s not about getting paid to do your compulsions it’s about taking what one knows from doing compulsions & using that as a job. So if OCD taught someone how to do a good job cleaning then they could be a good housekeeper. 

Harm OCD was one of my themes once but I learned protection. So one of my jobs I have now is emergency rescue & response & protection.  But I don’t do it as a compulsion I do it because I’m good at it. 

You certainly have a different approach in the States.

I think it's alright for someone to realise they have certain traits; obsessive, maybe perfectionist, likes order, over thinks, or just likes a clean environment, what ever. Then to find a career where those traits can be satisfied. But it has to be because the person accepts those traits as part of their personality and wants to indulge them. Maybe wants a job in an ordered clean environment.

I think of Seurat's art as an expression of obsessive/perfectionist and such traits. But it could equally apply to many professions from surgeon to interior designer, games developer to scientist, etc.

But it's different if say a company then expoits those people who have those traits. Although I suppose an employer after taking someone on, might realise they are perfect for another role where say over thinking/planning is a positive.