Really need somebody to talk too right now

Hi everybody, an event happened in my local area which really triggered me :( the event was extremely horrendous and I’ve been in so much distress about it.

There was quite a few air helicopters and air police in the sky, they weren’t moving they were just in the same spot like they were trying to find somebody - right away that triggered my harm ocd thinking they was after me!! Then I looked on my local areas Facebook page to see if anybody had said anything, apparently there had been a really bad car crash, but the car drove into a load of petrol gas tank. 

Parts of the area are being evacuated because of the gas and it’s really made me feel so distressed. The guy wasn’t in a good condition either which was even more distressing :( I feel so unwell now, and I have to go into work tomorrow acting all okay. I’m convincing myself I can smell gas on me and my harm ocd is really bad too. 

I’m sorry I’m just really triggered by this event because it was so graphic, the traffic was absolutely horrendous too. I know it’s OCD but sometimes when these type of things happen, it’s to much of a distress :( 

I'd start with not putting pressure on yourself to "act ok in work".  You don't have to.  You can have an off day and be quiet and withdrawn and that's fine.  You don't always have to be perfect.  If anyone asks what's up you just say 'there was a big bruhaha up my bit last night and I'm just feeling stressed out about it'.  End of story and perfectly normal.

9 minutes ago, PolarBear said:

So what can you do for yourself to calm down and get your mind off this?

I’m talking to my friends about my birthday over text before I go to bed, just so I can stop myself from ruminating. It’s just such an awful story but I know I’ll be ok, usually when I’m triggered by events like this I just need to talk about it, rest and carry on as normal distracting myself with work. I’m not saying it’s easy when the thoughts continue to go round but I know it’ll be okay 

3 minutes ago, ocdjonesy said:

I'd start with not putting pressure on yourself to "act ok in work".  You don't have to.  You can have an off day and be quiet and withdrawn and that's fine.  You don't always have to be perfect.  If anyone asks what's up you just say 'there was a big bruhaha up my bit last night and I'm just feeling stressed out about it'.  End of story and perfectly normal.

Thank you @ocdjonesy 💕 I don’t know why I’m putting so much pressure on myself work wise. I think it’s because I really love my job and it’s my healthy distraction too, I’m just anxious because I’m currently under my 3 month probation and don’t want to F it up basically 🥺 but I just need to have a nice rest tonight. 

I think because it was just such an awful story, my OCD gremlin has latched onto it straight away. I’m also very hormonal too, I don’t know why but a couple of days before my time of the month I’m an absolute mess intrusive thoughts wise. 

22 hours ago, Summer9173 said:

I think because it was just such an awful story, my OCD gremlin has latched onto it straight away.

To stop this happening again you need to learn not to internalise outside (local/world) events. If you treat everything bad in the world as if it was a personal disaster, your OCD will never be short of things to latch onto. Watching the news will become a nightmare of dread and bad things continually setting you off. :(

All you need to do is recognise that there's a difference between horrible things happening in the world and horrible things happening to you.

You've reacted to this as if it was you personally that has been affected and it's preventing you from functioning normally. :(

If it was a family member in the crash - that affects you. This kind of reaction would be understandable. If the car crashed into your front room - that affects you. Taking a few days off work to get your house and head straight is expected.

But where something tragic happens to your next-door neighbour, or something horrible happens in the street but not to you, your home, or your family... then the normal reaction is to take a step back from it and deal with it in a slightly less emotional way. That's not being hard-hearted or uncaring. You can still feel bad for the person involved, still think of it as a horrible event, but you recognise it hasn't directly affected you and don't internalise it inappropriately.