Dream about my manager

Hi everybody,

I’ve been doing really well lately with my new job and the OCD, however I’ve started a new medication for my sleep (Amitryptaline 10mg) so far its really helped, however i get the worst vivid dreams on them. I had a really strange dream me and my manager was in a relationship (even though I don’t think of him that way at all.) now I’m doubting all the conversations me and him have, it’s sometimes just me and him in an office but he’s a lot older than me so I obviously don’t even see it that way at all. But we do have a laugh, it passes the 9 to 5 days by. Now I feel guilty and I feel even more unwell the fact I had a dream like that :( I’m seeing my boyfriend today and I don’t feel to great about it after my dream last night, but I don’t want to avoid it and make the thoughts seem worse and give a meaning to them. 

I had a dream last night that I slept with my physiotherapist and did weird illicit street drugs.  Dreams happen.  It doesn't mean anything.  You have to stop reading into things so much and just let them be what they are - normal things that happen.

Hi Summer, Sounds like you’ve been doing really well so don’t let this affect your progress if you can. It’s normal to have dreams especially if on new medication. We all have dreams which we don’t understand. 

Next time, before you head for the forum..........Pause......stop and think to yourself  "This is just more of the same.  It's common for people to get vivid dreams like this with medication and it's hardly surprising it's about a work collegue & being in a relationship.  I know what it is and don't need to do anything about it"

Heading for the forum (in this instance) is seeking reassurance.  Worrying about seeing your boyfriend is as a result of rumination.  Both compulsions.  As you move forward you need to try and work on recognising these flash points and become self-reliant in moving past them before they build.  It's an important next step in improving your mastery of OCD :)

4 hours ago, Caramoole said:

forum..........Pause......stop and think to yourself  "This is just more of the same.

I know @Caramoolei actually really do regret posting this now because I’m okay, i implemented all my CBT techniques and I was ok, just feel a little bit disturbed by it but nothing I haven’t felt like before. 

I actually went to Morrisons with my dad, walked around and felt ok :) so that’s a win, very proud of that. 

6 hours ago, ocdjonesy said:

I had a dream last night that I slept with my physiotherapist and did weird illicit street drugs.  Dreams happen.  It doesn't mean anything.  You have to stop reading into things so much and just let them be what they are - normal things that happen.

Dreams are just so strange aren’t they!! Some ones I have I think how on earth did my brain even come up with that!! They say dreams have hidden means to them but I don’t really believe that anymore 😂😂

6 hours ago, James M said:

Hi Summer, Sounds like you’ve been doing really well so don’t let this affect your progress if you can. It’s normal to have dreams especially if on new medication. We all have dreams which we don’t understand. 

Thank you James for your kind reply. I do feel quite embarrassed posting this on the forum now because I was okay in the end and nothing bad happened, but sometimes I really don’t know where to run with it when it’s heightened. I agree, amitryptaline is a TCA too and my psychiatrist said it’s quite bad for dreams but amazing for sleep!! 

Just practise that pause to breathe, take a second,  recognise the OCD and work on handling it for a moment.  It's a good skill to develop.  Today, the dream thing was a fairly obvious one to identify fairly quickly.....other days it can be more sneaky, it can be the tiniest of thoughts or observations that prompt the panic.  Start to practise noticing the little thoughts that set you off

6 hours ago, Caramoole said:

Just practise that pause to breathe, take a second,  recognise the OCD and work on handling it for a moment.  It's a good skill to develop.  Today, the dream thing was a fairly obvious one to identify fairly quickly.....other days it can be more sneaky, it can be the tiniest of thoughts or observations that prompt the panic.  Start to practise noticing the little thoughts that set you off

Good advice