Anyone else opened up to partner about cheating OCD

He knows this theme and how I suffer.

I confessed a thought in terms of ‘Im convincing self I did XYZ’ and even though he is not phased at all by what im telling myself I did. Im worrying myself now that I’ve shared the false belief.

I said I regret telling you and Partner said ‘stop you’re obsessing now about obessing and telling me’ - what you said just goes over My head.

I know ocd takes many forms but does anyone else’s do what mine does  I.e you tell yourself you’ve done something bad, feels real and despite knowing it’s a load of rubbish -( I’m not deluded & know difference between reality and made up )  you still convince self otherwise and even create names who was involved etc.

Hey :),

Mine may not be in the exact same way but is near enough similar. When I’m driving I tell myself that I have run someone over without knowing.. I can spend forever driving up and down the same road checking. I will even drive to where I was and back, worst case taking me an extra hour before

Hi @Midnight jasmine my theme is the same and it’s so difficult.

Unfortunately the more we ‘confess’ our thoughts the more we are fuelling the OCD. Confessing and reassurance seeking are both compulsions and we need to do all we can to stop these to move forward. I know it is easier said that done! Another compulsion is going over things in our heads to prove or disprove a thought, sometimes this feels like we are doing it automatically but we must try to stop that to beat the OCD bully.

OCD likes to attack the things that mean to the most to us and clearly your relationship is important that’s why it is picking on that.

Hope you feel better soon x

Hi @Midnight jasmine,

thought I’d just let you know that I’ve gone through the exact same thing. The first time I told my partner I felt a massive relief and he took it really well, as obviously in reality it’s nothing. 

However that relief was only temporary and of course the anxiety and thoughts came back, so I ‘confessed’ again. I could tell it was unpleasant for him, because of how upset it was making me and it was everything he had heard before. Just like serenity said, ‘confessing’ is just fuelling the OCD as much as we feel the need to do it! 

I know how awful it is to experience this kind of OCD, because all it’s doing is attacking the things we love. Just remember you aren’t your OCD and you can get through this 😊

Thank you sO much for you kind words. We can support each other.

Serenity your advice makes incredible sense as I was going over in my head what my friend said when I told her the thought and how rubbish I felt confessing the thought to my partner  when had such a fab glasto. Then felt bad for confessing.

All mental BS