Partner with OCD

My fiance has OCD and at times she has seemed to manage it, but currently she is really struggling. She has Depression as well which is an additional challenge. At the moment she will start cleaning the house late at night, and work through to about 5 in the morning. I work and I can take my daughter to school sometimes but can never pick her up. My fiance is usually the one taking her to school and always picking her up, and it means she doesn't have time to sleep. She is shattered during the day and it seems to have a knock on effect where she has not got the energy or motivation to do anything due to a lack of sleep. A lot of the time she will order takeaway and part of the rationale is to avoid the mess from cooking, however it is costly. She has been to the doctor's a few times regarding both OCD and depression, but they never seem to understand and always blame it on other things such as her weight. I want her to be able to relax more and break this habit as she seems to be struggling more each day, and is starting to feel suicidal.  Is there anything I can do?

Hi Ben,

I'm really sorry to hear how much your fiancé is struggling at the moment. You mentioned that she has been to the doctors a few times, has she ever been offered or had any treatment? Treatment would include Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) and possibly SSRI medication.

Gemma :)

Hey, thanks for the reply. She's always dismissed and has not been offered any treatment. I think it will be worth trying again as I think she could really benefit right now from some help

Hi Ben,

If your fiancé is in England, then she will be able to self-refer to her local IAPT service for Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT). She can find her local service here https://www.nhs.uk/service-search/mental-health/find-a-psychological-therapies-service/ If she is elsewhere in the UK, then it's likely she will need to speak to her GP. She will need to ask for a referral to her local Community Mental Health Team (CMHT). If it would help, she can explain that she has been advised to seek CBT for OCD by OCD-UK. 

We have some fantastic conference presentations that you might find helpful to watch together. You can access them all here https://www.ocduk.org/conference/

Gemma