Intrusive thoughts

Hi everyone, 

I just wanted to reach out for some guidance about how others control their intrusive thoughts? I've tried everything to better my wellbeing, but the thoughts can be so debilitating. I'm also in the process of reaching out for CBT and further support from a therapist.

I'm just really struggling to cope at the moment, and would love to hear from those who are able to better manage their thoughts

Thank you in advance☺️

Good morning 🙂

The short answer is, you don't.

It's not the thoughts that are the problem it is our reaction to them and the meaning we give to them.

The more you react to your intrusive thoughts by trying to stop them, analysing them, shutting them out, etc.. the more they come and the more anxiety they'll produce. 

When a thought comes, you need to learn that it can do you no harm and to leave it be. Eventually, they lose power and the anxiety decreases as you teach your brain that it has no meaning. (Your brain is basically sending you a thought and gauging your reaction to it as to ascertain the threat level, so the more you react to the thought must mean the bigger the problem to your brain).

It's not easy to just leave the thoughts be and sit with the anxiety and nagging feeling that this thought needs attention now! It takes practice (and plenty of failing) but it can be done 🙂

I hope that this makes sense and I am glad that you're reaching out for help, it does make a big difference!

I wish you the best of luck 🙂

Symps

2 hours ago, OCDUK123 said:

Hi everyone, 

I just wanted to reach out for some guidance about how others control their intrusive thoughts? I've tried everything to better my wellbeing, but the thoughts can be so debilitating. I'm also in the process of reaching out for CBT and further support from a therapist.

I'm just really struggling to cope at the moment, and would love to hear from those who are able to better manage their thoughts

Thank you in advance☺️

Trying to control them is what makes them come back stronger and adds more distress. Thoughts are just thoughts not facts :).

We can control how we react to the thoughts though. By observing them and not doing compulsions, the thoughts eventually pass by on their own. It does mean that you're likely to have a lot of anxiety in those moments but it will pass. The compulsions add more anxiety and become more and more consuming. They don't eradicate the fear, but keep it going.

As @Symps07has said, it takes a lot of practice but it does get easier. Practicing self compassion is really helpful - we are often far too hard on ourselves. Be kind to yourself, it's really difficult but you can get better.

Don't try and fight your thoughts or wish them away. Observe them and choose to do something else other than compulsions. I often find it helpful to think 'what would I be doing if I wasn't doing compulsions?' and continue with that. They often come back with more intensity and a lot more questions but that's okay. It's okay to be anxious. 

We have a choice when we get an intrusive thought:

1. We can listen to the thought and try and work it out. Try and be certain that it's not/hasn't happened and get stuck with endless compulsions.

2. We can acknowledge the thought is there but continue our life anyway. Compulsions keep us stuck, living our lives doesn't. You deserve to live your life :) 

Intrusive thoughts are thoughts you don’t put there yourself.  If you put them there yourself it’s within your power to think about something else.

If not, label as intrusive thoughts, like a stick on the river you see it, it floats by it’s out of sight. It’s a very common topic. Search the forum.