Two techniques that have changed my life!

Hi All,

I’ve tried and tested many techniques to lessen the effects of my OCD… and failed many of times! but for the past few months I’ve been using a combination of two techniques I’ve discovered that have virtually wiped out 95% of all of negatives from OCD(mainly anxiety and compulsiveness) the two techniques I have used are a) creating completely crazy but positive obsessions or compulsions such as ‘ if I do that I will become a millionaire today’ obviously the likelihood of me becoming a millionaire is slim to non so when the outcome doesn’t happen it starts the ball rolling of realising your other O’s and C’s are completely nonsense. secondly, b) on the back of my previous technique changing the outcome of my current  Compulsions or obsessions for example changing  “if I wear these green socks something bad will happen” to “ if I wear these green socks my day will be amazing”.  

this has worked for me and will hopefully work for someone else!

12 minutes ago, JJmm67 said:

Hi All,

I’ve tried and tested many techniques to lessen the effects of my OCD… and failed many of times! but for the past few months I’ve been using a combination of two techniques I’ve discovered that have virtually wiped out 95% of all of negatives from OCD(mainly anxiety and compulsiveness) the two techniques I have used are a) creating completely crazy but positive obsessions or compulsions such as ‘ if I do that I will become a millionaire today’ obviously the likelihood of me becoming a millionaire is slim to non so when the outcome doesn’t happen it starts the ball rolling of realising your other O’s and C’s are completely nonsense. secondly, b) on the back of my previous technique changing the outcome of my current  Compulsions or obsessions for example changing  “if I wear these green socks something bad will happen” to “ if I wear these green socks my day will be amazing”.  

this has worked for me and will hopefully work for someone else!

Thank you for sharing @JJmm67 what an amazing idea! I really like this actually I’m going to give it a go myself :) I love hearing what’s helped other people, I know of course not 1 shoe fits all but that’s why it’s so lovely to hear what helps everyone individually too :) 

I just look at someone wearing green socks & imagine that they are thinking wearing green socks is changing the world around them & then see how absurd that is. 

6 hours ago, Handy said:

I just look at someone wearing green socks & imagine that they are thinking wearing green socks is changing the world around them & then see how absurd that is. 

How does this relate to the helpful therapeutic ideas/points JJMm was making?