Having the worst time

Hi guys - long time forum user here but first proper post for me. Just wanted some help and advice as I’m just having the WORST time. I had made so much progress with my OCD and have been triggered by something hugely which is a long lasting (but temporary) situation that is also impossible to get out of due to living circumstances. I’m completely safe I know, but due to my contamination ocd I feel SO unsafe like I’m living my nightmare and can’t wake up. I have a huge support in one person and support from a friend and OCDUK but also am doing so much reassurance seeking at the moment I don’t want to be too much of a burden. I hate my job, my grandparents are unwell and live so far away, and am just in general absolutely hating every second of existence. I feel like I’m on the verge of a huge mental breakdown and it’s scaring me. I need help, feel like I’m suffocating and trapped and can’t breathe 😭

2 hours ago, sunflowersea said:

I had made so much progress with my OCD

Making progress is good.  Looking out for support as you have descibed is a positive step.

I am on the recovery road just like you.  However the road is not always straight and smooth.  What do I do when I hit those sharp bends and rocky bits on the road?  I can refer back to my CBT therapy notes and look at how I have managed to get so far on the road.  If I take 2, 3 or several steps forward and then end up taking a step backwards, this is not something I worry too much about.  What is important to me is that the forwad steps are outnumbering the backward ones and I am still on the recovery road.

🚶‍♂️Keep on walking....

6 hours ago, sunflowersea said:

I hate my job, my grandparents are unwell and live so far away, and am just in general absolutely hating every second of existence. I feel like I’m on the verge of a huge mental breakdown and it’s scaring me. I need help, feel like I’m suffocating and trapped and can’t breathe 😭

Thank you @northpaul , I really do appreciate your response 🧡

Does anyone have any advice for this in particular? Something needs to change/give as it’s really exacerbating my OCD and are some of the things I actually CAN control whereas external situations I cannot. Like I’m at breaking point.

Well you know what is wrong.... and you know what you'd like to do. So why don't you make a list of objectives and then make them happen.

It's better than feeling stuck, unhappy and anxious about what to do. Take control and over ride anxiety.(I don't know if that helps).

I think @northpaul worded it amazingly, I’m exactly the same, I too, feel extremely frustrated when I’ll be doing well and then ‘bam’ the OCD kicks in again. But what I try to remember, and sometimes it can be harder to do when my minds extremely sticky with intrusive thoughts, Is that trying to solve it, so to solve the thought and make it go away is an OCD symptom in itself. It sets our alarm response off (fight or flight) because in the past, that thought has caused a lot of panic and distress (or new thoughts with a similar theme etc.) OCD loves to creep in when we’re doing well to see if we can handle it, it goes ‘ooooo okay so your doing well, let’s see if I can work my tricks here then.) like an evil little gremlin/bully, what helps me is being reminded that it’s all OCD symptoms - which is a medical disorder. I try to word it as medical as possible, because I become so engrossed in OCD being all totally me and me only, when that’s far from the truth. I’m sorry I hope this helps 🧡🤍 in my spare time, I try and read some OCD self - help books too that I bought from the OCD-UK website :) really helps to learn and practise in my spare time.

Edited by Summer9173
14 hours ago, howard said:

So why don't you make a list of objectives and then make them happen.

Thanks so much @howard what you said was definitely really helpful. I have taken charge and already put the first step in place. Am feeling a lot better already ☺️

13 hours ago, Summer9173 said:

I try and read some OCD self - help books too that I bought from the OCD-UK website :)

@Summer9173 Thanks so much for your kind words and advice ☺️ I have ‘break free from ocd’ so might try and delve into that this weekend!