How to sit with thoughts (merged threads)

These thoughts and interpretations come in so fast I don’t have a chance to fight them. I’m too scared to do anything. I’m too scared to do what I need to do in case it turns out that I actually feel the way I fear I do. I don’t know if I’m making sense or if anyone can relate but I’m just feeling hopeless and stuck. 

You don't need to fight them. Take a deep breath and slow down.

As the thoughts swirl around in your head, all the what ifs and questions about what to do...let them be there. You need to step away from it emotionally for a moment. Step outside of yourself if you like to think of it that way.

Observe the thoughts, the fears, the doubt and uncertainty as if it was happening to someone else.

Let the thoughts swirl around. Just breathe. Slow and easy. Just breathe.

You recognise that you can't control all the what ifs, so don't try to control any of them. There's only one you have to focus on and that one hasn't revealed itself yet (what will happen in reality.)

So you breathe. You calm yourself down and wait, outside of the storm in your head.

When you have detached a little from the thoughts, ease your focus onto something else. Something normal. Something that feels safe and familiar.

If you can, give yourself something practical to do with your hands that also occupies your mind. Could be washing the dishes, a playstation game, anything that keeps your attention away from the thoughts.

Remember, you're not trying to push the thoughts away or get rid of them. You're allowing them to be there, swirling above your head and outside of yourself while you get on with whatever it is you've decided to do.

If the thoughts slip back inside your head, focus on this: you only have to deal with the one that actually happens and only when it actually happens.

All the rest is belly fluff and can be safely ignored.

And so you get on with your day without engaging with the thoughts. Leave them swirling like a cloud out of harm's way.

Any time you feel overwhelmed, go back to the begining and just breathe. Slow and easy. Disengage yourself from the thoughts and try again. :)