Pregnancy and OCD

Guest Courtney89

Guest Courtney89

Hi everyone,

I just wondered if anyone could give me some advice. I have been suffering with OCD for a while now and have been having CBT and ACT. I have worked hard and have come really far in my recovery journey. I wouldn’t say I have completely 100 percent cut out all compulsions but I definitely feel so much better in myself by embracing uncertainty and leaning into anxiety. 

I am at the stage of my life (in my early 30s) where I would love to have a baby. I have obviously come so far in my recovery I am worried it will set everything off again. Has anyone been through a similar experience? I heard a therapist once say that the neuroplasty in the brain can change after treatment and I definitely understand and feel as though that could be possible with the way I feel, but is it enough to hold through pregnancy? I accept that there will always be underlying grumbling OCD but feel I have the skills to manage it. I just want to know, (maybe no one will ever know, as each individual person responds differently) but am I making the right decision? I’ve always said to myself I won’t let OCD get in the way of the things I want to do, but is it worth it? I have experienced derealisation before, the lot. Do you think it’s worth doing medication before trying? I just don’t know. Has anyone actually experienced having no change on their ocd at all during pregnancy? I am trying to do all the research I can. I currently only do CBT and ACT. I think because I feel so well at the moment it’s given me hope, but I know how nasty OCD can be. 

I have always been reluctant to post because of my OCD, but I would love for everyone to share their stories (whatever they are) so I have a good understanding about pregnancy with OCD and a decision about having children in the future.

Thank you.

Edited by Courtney89

Hi there!

A very interesting topic.

I totally agree with you that when possible, one should never let his/her life be dictated by OCD (or fears in general). If you WANT to have a baby, that's the most important.

Of course, it's a big and life-changing decision and we know OCD symptoms can occur in these moments. 

My opinion is

- Don't think you should not have a baby because of OCD. You should have one, if that's what you want, despite OCD.

- Nevertheless, you should prepare yourself. You know how anxious you can be, so don't deny it. Every pregnant woman experiences anxiety but when diagnosed with a condition such as OCD, it's better to take it into account so you won't be taken aback.

- Talk about it with your GP and surround yourself with a kind and understanding medical team so you can develop a "battle plan" together. Ask them all your questions about medication: if you don't need it right now, they probably won't put you on but if you need it, they will tell you which drugs are compatible with pregnancy).

Also, my therapist told me that highly anxious women are not necessarily anxious during pregnancy. It's not inevitable. And another interesting thing is that having a baby allows you to think about something other than yourself and sometimes this is beneficial. Of course it depends on each individual and their specific fears.

So don't let OCD impact your decision, but be active and prepare yourself. I'm sure you'll feel more confident if you plan ahead without being surprised if anxiety rises again.

Edited by C3PO

Pregnancy changes estrogen & so OCD could come back full force. Once a child is born hormones change again & OCD can return. This is called Postpartum OCD. 

It’s good to get a grip on OCD before getting pregnant.  

Tey some of the pregnancy topics on the forum as they are interesting.

Personal experiences were different during and after each pregnancy. However I've also heard of women who found improvements in anxiety during pregnancy. Worth looking into perinatal services locally as they sometimes offer preconception advice.

There is a Perinatal Association familiar with this.

Women with OCD, which is stress based, can make the baby their theme & wash them compulsively if they have germ OCD. Brainlock has stories like this. 

I would talk with your therapist about this before you start trying, just so you are 100% as prepared as you can be. 

But anecdotally, a friend had extremely high anxiety and massive phobia of people being sick/being ill herself that almost 100% went away when she became pregnant and it's never quite returned (in part I think because she was strong willed enough to not let her phobias get in the way of what was best for her child). 

I think it depends on the person and where they are with managing their ocd.