Stress making it worse

I've started to have some serious pain and health problems. I'm having to wait a few weeks to go back to the hospital for more tests. I definitely feel like my brain is whirring on overdrive and my obsessions are getting stronger.

I'm so sorry to hear that Gloomwood. It's not surprising that this should make your OCD worse. 

I hope your hospital appointment comes through really soon.

Have you been given adequate right pain relief? Also are you currently having CBT for your OCD?

Hi gloomwood,

Sorry to hear that you’re having health problems, I hope you feel better soon!

OCD loves to take advantage of stressful situations 🙄 Maybe it would help to look at some de-stressing activities e.g., mindful colouring/painting. These sorts of things help me when i’m feeling overly stressed 😊

Bismah

On 26/07/2022 at 23:50, gloomwood said:

I've started to have some serious pain and health problems. I'm having to wait a few weeks to go back to the hospital for more tests. I definitely feel like my brain is whirring on overdrive and my obsessions are getting stronger.

I can relate to this. I've had a pain under my left rib cage for months. The problem is it's hard to tell what it exactly is in that location. So I've just had a bowel cancer screening and just getting a negative result seems to have made the pain less.

So many things play into health issues. Like your health history, the experiences of family and friends, self diagnosing online(doctors despair), sensitivity to physical and mental symptoms. I had a friend die of pancreatic cancer a few years ago, that plays on my mind.

So try to distract yourself, if possible. After the tests you'll either be reassured or get the help you need.

Stress definitely aggravates mental conditions. Do you have much of a social support group?   Being active and doing things will take your mind off things.

I find that when things are out of my control that stresses increases. Waiting for appointments is a good example. And In my case waiting for forms to be signed by others for a property sale. And at the same time a major leak from my neighbour affecting my property and waiting for the housing association that runs the next door property to sort in out. 

44 minutes ago, Angst said:

Stress definitely aggravates mental conditions. Do you have much of a social support group?   Being active and doing things will take your mind off things.

I find that when things are out of my control that stresses increases. Waiting for appointments is a good example. And In my case waiting for forms to be signed by others for a property sale. And at the same time a major leak from my neighbour affecting my property and waiting for the housing association that runs the next door property to sort in out. 

I think OCD to some degree is about being in control, but we have to draw a line on how far that control can be asserted.

Yes waiting for an important response about our health problems or percieved health problems. Or waithing for neighbours to comply. It's bound to be a stressful time for anyone, but our OCD exaggerates the situation and then starts to run through all the potential problems. It's easy to imagine and believe worst case scenarios will happen.

I have similar issues about health and to do with this property and a number of issues. I'm highly efficient and am in control, but I have to draw that line.

I say to myself, I done everything I can do. Now it's up to the other party.

While waiting for that response, there's nothing more I can do. I have to tell myself this.

I would say it becomes an obsession. For me the lack of control creates depression- feelings of powerlessness create such feelings. You cannot escape. It is not just us humans, animals in captivity have the behavioural signs of depression if not given some power, some autonomy. If solely dependent on others for things. Responding to the whims of others. To be sure, people with anxiety image the worse.

Edited by Angst