Radiation-very severe OCD

14 hours ago, PolarBear said:

Hypnosis is not recommended for OCD. Nowhere is it medically suggested for OCD. In 8 years on this forum, I can't ever recall a single person who said hypnosis helped their OCD.

No one was suggesting that hypnosis or hynotherapy was recommended for OCD. They can help with anxiety and stress. As robin43 is finding it hard to get past this idea that he is irradiated, and hasn't found his therapy so far useful. It's a possible way of dealing with that specific idea. 

10 hours ago, howard said:

No one was suggesting that hypnosis or hynotherapy was recommended for OCD. They can help with anxiety and stress. As robin43 is finding it hard to get past this idea that he is irradiated, and hasn't found his therapy so far useful. It's a possible way of dealing with that specific idea. 

Anything that works. Whos to judge?

OCDUK says hypnosis is good for anxiety. That conflicts with what PB says. But OCDUK also says DBT isn't useful as OCD treatment even though it's based on CBT, mindfulness & group. Shrug.  

12 hours ago, howard said:

Gotcha. I thought you were referring to OCD.

12 hours ago, PolarBear said:

Gotcha. I thought you were referring to OCD.

No problem, I value your insights.

I know this is an OCD forum, but I wonder if seeing everything through a sort of OCD lens is slightly limiting.

I just hope that Robin43 finds something that works for him.

@Robin43 which other ways have you tried? and get back to us if you do find something that helps.

1 hour ago, Robin43 said:

Thanks, I have tried CBT, ACT etc but nothing seems to be working for me. This never leaves me all day everyday 24/7

Yes I was wondering if you could accept it, live with it, but I can also see it is the center of your focus. It's possible considering what you've tried already that  you might have to find something unique to you.

Have you had any other OCD symptoms or major obsessions like this one, before?

Maybe you need to find a new more healthy for you obsession, to and try to shift your focus.

I heard an inspiring woman on the radio, described herslf as previously sad, lonely depressed, then accidently became a female wrestler. So finding something that empowered her completely changed her life, gave her focus.

@Robin43 It would be interesting if you tried a few radical ideas, see if anything helps.

Have you ever wanted to do something that would really heighten your fear levels; sky diving, swim with sharks, etc. I wonder if experiencing that real level of fear would reset your emotional and thinking responses. Put these current fears into perspective.

Hope you don't mind @Robin43

Just as a post script to this thread. There is some interesting research into fear itself and neuroscientists are carrying out experiments in VR labs where they can monitor people's physiological reactions when faced with something they fear. So they hope that this data can be used as part of the diagnosis process after listening to what patients say themselves.

This research it is hoped will help with some mental disorders like; chronic anxieties, PTSD, depression, phobias, etc.

I think this sort of reserach can help us to understand how different people react and how their thinking and emotional responses play out. But I'm also wondering if it has some ERP applications. The mind is very adept at suspending it's disbelief, and when the stimuli are visual, auditory and tactile stimulation it can react as if these scenarios are real.

So I was wondering if someone was trying to use ERP, if a first step, or an alternative would be using a simulation, monitored in a laboratory.

This is a introductory vid>         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJroGTmcyIQ&ab_channel=Seeker

@howard

I know you mean well and I agree with your approach of getting people out of their rigid thinking processes, but none of these alternative therapies/ alternative approaches you've posted lately are tried and tested for OCD and therefore cannot be recommended/ supported by OCD-UK.

It's fine to discuss alternative approaches, but please be wary of suggesting to any individual on the forum that one of these untested methods might suit them. :dry:

1 hour ago, snowbear said:

@howard

I know you mean well and I agree with your approach of getting people out of their rigid thinking processes, but none of these alternative therapies/ alternative approaches you've posted lately are tried and tested for OCD and therefore cannot be recommended/ supported by OCD-UK.

It's fine to discuss alternative approaches, but please be wary of suggesting to any individual on the forum that one of these untested methods might suit them. :dry:

I apologise. I just thought this was interesting research but didn't know if there was a place to post it.

It's only at the research and trials stage in UK so it's not really accessible.

Apology accepted. :)

There isn't a specific place on the forum to discuss new research. This is deliberate. People new to OCD/ new to the forum can easily get confused reading about lots of new 'therapies' and not understand the difference between untested and proven treatments. Some are also seeking a magic bullet and can waste a lot of time chasing untested methods, which delays them getting proper help.

Our purpose at OCD-UK is to help people access scientifically tested and proven therapy for OCD and promote methods we already know to work (CBT.)

As new research reaches a stage where it's efficacy, safety and use is proven, and recommended in the UK, they'll be adopted by the charity. Until then, it's always interesting to learn of what's being trialled and there's no reason not to post about it on the forum for open discussion. Just as long as we're all clear that it's research-in-progress and not a new or alternative treatment for OCD. :)