Helping others also helps you

I read in the book "You are not a rock" that it was a good idea to be in contact with the people that have the same condition that us, and thats why I ended here.

At the beginning I was not very sure about this: I had enough with my own problems, and maybe reading problems of other people could trigger new issues or obsessions in me.

However, I can say that I feel much better since I try to help other people here, mainly for two reason:

- Of course there is the factor of being nice to other people, which makes you feel better and with a purpouse. I am sure many people here have learned a lot that can share with others.

- The second factor is that you learn better what you explain, as stated in the next famous quote:

“William Glasser: “We learn 10 percent of what we read, 20 percent of what we hear, 30 percent of what we see, 50 percent of what we see and hear, 70 percent of what we discuss, 80 percent of what we experience, and 95 percent of what we teach others.”

If you want to internalize the values you need to overcome OCD you better explain them to others.

Of course sometimes you will feel triggered, but it is not bad! you can take it as a training, like "exposure and reponse prevention", and often its more easy with other people thoughts than with yours.

I see a lot of people here asking for help and only asking for help, maybe they have 100 posts and 100% are asking help, thats great! asking help is a very good thing to do, but maybe you can also try helping others, you will be surprise how good it feels. Sometimes only a nice word is a lot.

I will finish my post with other famous quote:

"If You Want to Be Happy, Try to Make Someone Else Happy"

Take care.

You make some good points. Like the William Glasser quote.

I read something similar but it was we remember about 30% of what we read and about 60% of what we read and write notes on. Two filing cases of notes later(nothing OCD abot that!).😀

I've learnt a lot form talking to other posters on here. I only know one person in real life with OCD.

I mean we all know what treatments are on offer through NHS, but here it's people who understand OCD better than anyone. So it works on a different level.

(I was wondering what your forum name referred to).

1 hour ago, NotRock said:

I read in the book "You are not a rock" that it was a good idea to be in contact with the people that have the same condition that us, and thats why I ended here.

That is a good outlook - sharing one's OCD recovery with fellow sufferers and those on the way to recovery.  However, I would not limit looking outwards just to other people with OCD.

I have found that generally looking outwards to a wider range of people with various issues has been beneficial to my own recovery journey.  I also take part in forums on another health related site and I have found this to be beneficial for my OCD recovery.

Although in reality the only help we can offer is at the level of this being a virtual OCD group therapy session; support, reassurance and some understanding of what someone might be going through. All of which help of course,  it's mutual support. And it often helps to know that others have similar problems and we are not alone in this.

Those who are trained professionals and work with OCD patients obviously offer the real help. Although I wonder how many of those have experienced OCD thought patterns themselves.