Stranger things

I don’t know if anyone is a fan of stranger things, but I feel like there’s parallels with my ocd.

i accidentally opened a portal to another world and that world is full of demons. The other world also includes a creature that’s trying to control my mind.

every time I try to use all my power to close the portal, another one opens up somewhere else and releases a new demon

Edited by OB1UK
22 hours ago, OB1UK said:

I don’t know if anyone is a fan of stranger things, but I feel like there’s parallels with my ocd.

i accidentally opened a portal to another world and that world is full of demons. The other world also includes a creature that’s trying to control my mind.

every time I try to use all my power to close the portal, another one opens up somewhere else and releases a new demon

I'm not sure what your therapy history is, but this sounds like something a psychaitrist might be best to help you with.

What do you mean ' I accidently opened a portal'. How?

I watched an interview with Dr Chris Timmerman yesterday and it sounds very simialr to some of the symptoms experienced in his trials.

Stranger things is a Netflix series, kinda supernatural. I only really meant it as a light hearted comment.

when I say opened a portal, I guess I mean that my ocd was really triggered about 10 years ago when I screwed up and went through a stressful time. It seemed to open the floodgates to all sorts of worries that I hadn’t experienced before and I’ve been trying to battle those worries on and off since then

13 minutes ago, OB1UK said:

Stranger things is a Netflix series, kinda supernatural. I only really meant it as a light hearted comment.

when I say opened a portal, I guess I mean that my ocd was really triggered about 10 years ago when I screwed up and went through a stressful time. It seemed to open the floodgates to all sorts of worries that I hadn’t experienced before and I’ve been trying to battle those worries on and off since then

And what sort of help have you had so far? Was it a GP who prescribed Citalopram?

Strangely enough they are experimenting, using special PC games, because they engage people and are immersive. As a way to reprogram younger people's minds with PTSD and ADHD disorders.

Also the game world is a safe place and allows for some positive role play. There is a very good Ted talk by a neuroscientist talking about the mental benefits of gaming.

@howard I was first prescribed citalopram just over 10 years ago. Took it for a year or so, came off, went back on, took it for another 2-3 years, came off for a year and then back on for 5 years until February this year. Hadn’t really had major problems for 3 years or more but had a big set back last month. Total collapse. So now back on citalopram the last 4 weeks. 

I’m on my 3rd therapist. First one worked well on my depression. Towards the end of those sessions I became aware of ocd forums and found people that were struggling with the same thoughts as me and it was a revelation. My 2nd therapist was recommended to me from an ocd group, but she’s retired. This time I’ve found it difficult to find a therapist at all, I guess they’re all stretched post Covid.

I’m still struggling, worries are generally bubbling under the surface. I’m at least functional in the last week.

@OB1UK I'd have to look into citalopram but it's used to maintain serotonin levels. As with any medications thay can take a while to work and you have to keep taking them to maintain those levels. Have you looked into how it works. It helps to have a detailed understanding.

Yes it's a real problem getting help with mental health at any time. Sometimes you have to make it happen.

I'm not sure this would work for everyone, but I went to the head of mental health services for the county, just conntacted her online. Next thing she's talking to me on phone and organised therapy. So it does help to be a bit pushy if you feel desperate.

You're doing well just holding down a job and looking after your family.

Edited by howard

Thanks Howard. I’m really well studied on SSRIs in general, I’ve found it useful to understand how the medication works. In fact I’ve spent ages looking into ways to improve my mental health, including the best diet, exercise etc.

I know I need to be patient to feel the benefits and it might be at least 2 months before the days get easier and maybe even 12 months before I see things returning to normal