19 hours ago, foreverobsessing said:

Hello

does anyone have any advice on helping recover from ocd whilst struggling from ptsd too? I am really struggling. 

thank you 

You may have to give us more information. How does your OCD affect you? How does your PTSD affect you? Have you been professionally diagnosed? Do you think there's some overlap or interaction between the two disorders?

What are you doing, seeing a therapist, etc, to help you recover.

Hello, thank you for replying.

Ocd has affected every part of my life, I lost my job as I haven’t been able to work for nearly 2 years now, it left me housebound and caused me to really loose my independence. It has slightly improved after trialling lots of medications and now I am on the right medication for me. It doesn’t stop the ocd but it helps me be able to challenge them a bit easier. 

I have had around 28 sessions of CBT with exposure work but no matter how much I was trying, and even with a fantastic therapist, my progress was really limited. It was then decided to stop the CBT and exposure work because it was ethically wrong to continue as it wasn’t working and I was getting more and more distressed. With more work done with looking back into my past and looking more at my thought patterns etc it was realised that it looks like some of my ocd may have stemmed from past traumas and that I have PTSD. Although ocd affects me in many ways, the theme of harm is definitely what is strongest. 

Now I’m starting EMDR for ptsd, with the hope that if I can heal the ptsd it will then help the ocd, if that makes sense. 

So I was just reading that PTSD and OCD is originally treated with CBT and if that doesn't work, they offer EMDR for PTSD because it doesn't require as much exposure.

So it does sound like a good idea to do the EMDR and see if that helps the PTSD first. I imagine there must be some overlap of symptoms but maybe treating the PTSD will then make managing your OCD symptoms easier. What are the nature of your OCD symptoms?

It does sound like there may be some overlap and that could be that they are both a response to the initial trauma.