5yo displaying OCD symptoms

Hi there,

My 5yr old son has been displaying various what I’ve been calling ‘tiks’ oh and off for the past year however they seem to have become more severe the past 2 months. 

The behaviours include breathing patterns, blinking patterns, blowing on his fingers and arms, coughing/clearing his throat, moving feet/legs in certain ways. I have an appt with our GP at the end of the month to hopefully get a referral to someone who can help.

My son definitely has experienced stressors recently, we’ve moved home, he’s finished nursery and is due to start school. We have discussed all of these things and he has admitted he worries about them. I’m just feeling so sad for him and don’t know how to help.

I will add that he sleeps well at night, at least 10/12 hours of unbroken sleep, has no toileting issues, no medical conditions, a varied diet and no other behavioural, learning or mental health issues. 

I wonder if anyone would have any advice on the best way for myself and his Dad to approach this for now until we can get professional help? 

Thanks in advance! :)

Edited by gracefulwaste
More information added

Children are usually not diagnosed with OCD till 7 it 8 as they outgrow it 

As I was a child with OCD ( but older), Ive got an idea on this. Your son has stress & these behaviors are his coping mechanisms.  Children need to be taught proper coping mechanisms.  Art therapy, exercise,play, etc 

Id give lots of reassurance that they are not to blame for what is happening, it's just life. 

You can go with therapy as I did but OCD doesn't respond to talk therapy much 

If you have any questions just post. 

8 hours ago, Handy said:

Children are usually not diagnosed with OCD till 7 it 8 as they outgrow it 

'on average', but children can be diagnosed aged 5 or 6 and symptoms can show even younger. 

16 hours ago, gracefulwaste said:

The behaviours include breathing patterns, blinking patterns, blowing on his fingers and arms, coughing/clearing his throat, moving feet/legs in certain ways. I have an appt with our GP at the end of the month to hopefully get a referral to someone who can help.

but Handy is partly right in that sometimes symptoms in children can come and go and never be seen again.  But if in doubt always consult a health professional through the GP and CAMHS, but sadly as many on here will testify, there are long waits.  OCD will generally be diagnosed if the person, your son is experiencing anxiety/stress/fears/worries when doing these behaviours. Behaviours themselves would not dictate OCD. Sometimes there will be a known reason why they feel they must do these behaviours, but other times there is no reason, the child will have more of a 'feeling' they must do something and get anxious if they can't. 

8 hours ago, Handy said:

Your son has stress & these behaviors are his coping mechanisms.  Children need to be taught proper coping mechanisms.  Art therapy, exercise,play, etc 

Lets stick to letting the experts make suggestions please Handy as if this is OCD then it would need age appropriate psychological therapy, not art therapy and play.  

8 hours ago, Handy said:

OCD doesn't respond to talk therapy much

I'm not sure what you mean by this Handy, but the evidence is clear, OCD is best treated by psychological therapy, CBT - a form of talking (and some doing) therapy.  Some people benefit from medication alongside CBT, but for children then ideally therapy first without meds. and leave medication unless needed.