Hi guys,

I just wondered if anyone else has experienced both OCD and ADHD at the same time. I’m in the process of trying to get an ADHD diagnosis at the minute. Of course I’m not expecting any medical advice - I was just wondering if anyone has any personal experiences with it. 😊

Things like how they affect one another, if you take medication for both etc. I just want to learn more about it really! You can get so much information on OCD or ADHD on their own but not much about both together. 

Thanks!

There’s a program on bbc sounds called Reality Tunnel, by a comedian called Robin Ince who talks about how his brain works and getting a diagnosis for adhd. There were a lot of crossovers with ocd that I found really interesting.

it’s worth a listen, if nothing else it made me laugh out loud 

11 hours ago, auroramaple said:

Hi guys,

I just wondered if anyone else has experienced both OCD and ADHD at the same time. I’m in the process of trying to get an ADHD diagnosis at the minute. Of course I’m not expecting any medical advice - I was just wondering if anyone has any personal experiences with it. 😊

Things like how they affect one another, if you take medication for both etc. I just want to learn more about it really! You can get so much information on OCD or ADHD on their own but not much about both together. 

Thanks!

Hiya,

I haven't, but there is a strong chance I have both, the ADHD part undiagnosed. A member of our team have recently had an ADHD diagnosis after many years so this is an area of interest for us all and we are trying to find a speaker to talk about this at our November conference with a view to answering many of the questions you raise.

In the meantime I will ask the person in question to take a read of your post and see if they can answer, which if they do I will post their replies.

With best wishes,

Ashley

17 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Hiya,

I haven't, but there is a strong chance I have both, the ADHD part undiagnosed. A member of our team have recently had an ADHD diagnosis after many years so this is an area of interest for us all and we are trying to find a speaker to talk about this at our November conference with a view to answering many of the questions you raise.

In the meantime I will ask the person in question to take a read of your post and see if they can answer, which if they do I will post their replies.

With best wishes,

Ashley

Thank you Ashley that would be very helpful 😊

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Hiya,

With best wishes,

Ashley

That would be me! Hi Auroramaple, I'm Claire, one of the charity trustees :)

I know anecdotally there is quite a high occurrence of ADHD and OCD together. I have both, and off the top of my head can think of three other people I know who are the same. 

I take medication for depression and for the ADHD. I take atomoxetine which has calmed me generally and a bit less likely to respond so emotionally when faced with challenges, which has always been a big issue for me. 

I'm at the beginning of understanding the ADHD. 

I am hoping for a medication review as my concentration is still not great so I'm not sure if I need to try something else. Like with other medications, sometimes it's a case of finding the one for you!

I also find I'm not great at going to bed because of general ADHD faffing around and losing time, which can affect my concentration the next day. 

I have found my diagnosis really helpful in understanding and generally just being a bit kinder to myself. 

I hope you also find it helpful if you get a diagnosis.

Claire 

Edited by Claire1704
Typo which irritated me
13 hours ago, auroramaple said:

You can get so much information on OCD or ADHD on their own but not much about both together. 

@auroramaple I’m in the exact same situation as you!
I listened to a really helpful podcast on this subject by The OCD Stories - was quite insightful. 
Obviously it is not a replacement for speaking to your GP, or therapy! Just worth a listen - https://open.spotify.com/episode/3FhtqZyRCWXJzS5ziZrBpz?si=HcprMnwCTBibtBO6m1NKGA 

On 11/08/2022 at 12:15, Claire1704 said:

That would be me! Hi Auroramaple, I'm Claire, one of the charity trustees :)

I know anecdotally there is quite a high occurrence of ADHD and OCD together. I have both, and off the top of my head can think of three other people I know who are the same. 

I take medication for depression and for the ADHD. I take atomoxetine which has calmed me generally and a bit less likely to respond so emotionally when faced with challenges, which has always been a big issue for me. 

I'm at the beginning of understanding the ADHD. 

I am hoping for a medication review as my concentration is still not great so I'm not sure if I need to try something else. Like with other medications, sometimes it's a case of finding the one for you!

I also find I'm not great at going to bed because of general ADHD faffing around and losing time, which can affect my concentration the next day. 

I have found my diagnosis really helpful in understanding and generally just being a bit kinder to myself. 

I hope you also find it helpful if you get a diagnosis.

Claire 

Hi Claire, 

thank you so much for your reply, this has been really helpful. I don’t think it helps when you have OCD to think you might have something else because I cannot stop thinking about it 😂 I know I just need that clarification! 

That’s good with the medication, I’m on SSRIs and I was worried that they maybe had a negative impact on ADHD symptoms but I understand many people with ADHD also take them 😊

Thank you again!!

On 11/08/2022 at 13:27, sunflowersea said:

@auroramaple I’m in the exact same situation as you!
I listened to a really helpful podcast on this subject by The OCD Stories - was quite insightful. 
Obviously it is not a replacement for speaking to your GP, or therapy! Just worth a listen - https://open.spotify.com/episode/3FhtqZyRCWXJzS5ziZrBpz?si=HcprMnwCTBibtBO6m1NKGA 

Amazing thank you! I’ll definitely check this out 😊 hopefully we get the answers we need!

23 hours ago, auroramaple said:

I don’t think it helps when you have OCD to think you might have something else because I cannot stop thinking about it 😂 I know I just need that clarification! 

I think this is an interesting point, because as we know, OCD can cause health obsession/preoccupation, but ADHD can bring hyper fixation too so who knows what's going on?! 🤣