Self-referred myself for therapy, do I need to let my GP know?

Hi, I'm new here.

I've struggled with various mental health issues throughout my life, and recently self-referred myself to local talking therapies for issues I have with OCD-related stuff (I didn't realise it was OCD related until they told me it was). 

Long story short, I am currently awaiting treatment for another disorder I struggle with, and therefore I was denied direct care from this new service for the OCD stuff - they said they'd forward the info onto the team that will be treating my other disorder and get them to include OCD treatment in their overall treatment plan for me. 

Now I assume the person who assessed me isn't a doctor and cannot provide a diagnosis, but she did refer me to all these OCD resources, websites, forums, self-help books etc and suggested that what I'm dealing with is related to OCD. So my question is, do I need to let my GP know about this, and talk to them to see if a diagnosis fits me? Or will the therapy team do that, or should I just not do anything and leave it?

I'm not chasing a diagnosis, it would just be handy to know what's going on and if I need to do something about it with my GP.

Any advice would be helpful, thank you so much! :)

Edited by Shishkebab
missing letter

Hi Shishkebab,

Typically, local talking therapies services let your GP know that you are using the service, so you don't need to do it yourself. If the service is an Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) service (which it sounds like it is), then the professionals there can't offer a diagnosis, but they are trained to assess people with common anxiety problems and will be able to recognise when someone is struggling with OCD. 

The aim for treatment for OCD is CBT, so as long as CBT is included in your treatment plan at some point then it sounds like they are taking the right steps for you :)

Gemma