I have been having a really rough week with my OCD again after a big trigger. 

I was chatting to my mum about my it last night and she made a very valid point which I think might help some other people to hear. I work with children and my OCD attacked this, turning a job that I loved into something I feared and felt broken in everyday. She said it doesn’t matter where you work, whether it’s with adults, children, animals or elderly people, the OCD will attack whatever you do. It’s because we are caring people, and those are the things we care about the most. We have to learn not to believe the lies that OCD tells us and know it’s because we are moral, caring people 😊

Hope this can help someone else struggling at the minute 💗

20 minutes ago, auroramaple said:

She said it doesn’t matter where you work, whether it’s with adults, children, animals or elderly people, the OCD will attack whatever you do. It’s because we are caring people, and those are the things we care about the most.

Thankyou for this post.  When I was at work I found that looking out to the people we cared for actually distracted me away from my own OCD thinking.  Now that I am no longer able to go to work I try to look for other ways to look outwards rather than inwards.  I am finding the more I look out - the easier the OCD recovery road becomes.

It's like driving a car - keep looking forward concentrating on the job in hand and ignore the babbling (OCD) passenger in the back seat.

Work is stress. OCD is stress based. So yes, work can raise OCD symptoms.  So whatever type of work we do there is going to be stress. 

But we can also cope with stress.