TMS for OCD

Hello

In my research about treatments for OCD, I see that TMS is being suggested as a treatment option, although I don’t think NICE have approved it for OCD use (I might be wrong on that so do correct me if so).

I just wondered whether anyone has tried this and, if so, whether it helped and what the experience was like?

12 hours ago, Gingham said:

Hello

In my research about treatments for OCD, I see that TMS is being suggested as a treatment option, although I don’t think NICE have approved it for OCD use (I might be wrong on that so do correct me if so).

I just wondered whether anyone has tried this and, if so, whether it helped and what the experience was like?

The only people really bigging this up as a treatment for OCD are the TMS companies themselves.  In all the articles and stories you read about TMS it's the same one or two gentleman being interviewed as it helping.  I am not sure it's widely suggested as a treatment, other then the TMS companies.

It's important to be open to new research, but I personally would not recommend it based off the research pieces I have seen so far. 

Maybe others may comment differently.

If it helps ease anxiety by helping detachment, fine.

I had a go at rapid eye movement desensitisation, but no help.

But it won't cure OCD.

You deal with the thoughts by learning they are false alerts and facing them out with exposure.

I don't think anything else addresses the core belief directly.

Detachmentabnd defusion do have a place but of a secondary nature.

Thanks everyone - your views are similar to what I was seeing (ie that positive reviews are all from the companies selling it). I just wanted to be sure I hadn’t missed any independent reports on its efficacy.
I think I’ll stick with ERP and meds as that will hopefully give me the skills I need to learn to manage my OCD myself going forward.