Shocking comment about mourners on Facebook, should I report?

Hi,

The other day, during the Queen's funeral, someone asked on Facebook if the funeral would be shown locally on a big screen. Someone replied & said "I think it has been rammed down people's throats enough already, thankyou". 

I was surprised by this, & someone said that there is a choice not to watch. Anyway, what followed was a barrage of what I assumed was trolling type comments, but then I discovered this person is a relationship counsellor & psychotherapist! I was concerned about comments & asked this person if they were really a psychotherapist & they said yes, and regardless of their profession, they were entitled to opinions on royalty & politics. I agreed, but I just question their comments on mental illness though?

Take a look at this screenshot, & please let me know, is it worth reporting to the psychotherapist organisation they belong to?

Many thanks.

P.S, the thread was eventually removed, but I did manage to save a couple of comments.

58018091_Facebookedit.thumb.jpg.743e37376dccbd3af3c2d7e71e863f99.jpg?

What is wrong with this? It's just someone expressing their opinion which is their right. Not everyone might agree but it's not illegal to express an opinion about how much coverage of the funeral there has been or express an opinion about the monarchy. I actually agree with most of what is said in the comment.

It's probably not the best choice of words to describe how the so-called mourners are behaving is like a mental illness, but to those of us who are republicans and don't understand why people are so fanatically devoted to the monarchy the reaction does look completely ridiculous and embarrassing. Not everyone will agree with this but that's OK as we are all allowed to have our own political opinions and beliefs. This person probably could have expressed that sentiment a bit better but to report them to their employer/organisation is a massive extreme overreaction in my opinion.

Edited by Lynz

Her opinion is fine, not one I agree with, but her opinion, the mental illness part is wrong though which I will come to in a moment.   Not sure I agree with you Lynz, whilst I am not a royalist, I don't accept that those that are and showing respect to someone should be considered embarrassing?  Happy to debate that point on a non OCD part of the forum. 

But back to your question Felix, the 'mental illness' part really is concerning and not really the correct action of a professional working in mental health, so I might be tempted to raise it with their professional body conduct and leave to them to decide if they have broken any rules.

Some of the BPS psychologists comments you see on Twitter are questionable on various subjects, especially when it comes to diagnostic labels it's become embarrassing to see professionals argue so publicly and some totally disregard service user groups opinions, especially over the use of the label OCD which the majority find helpful. But ultimately are their opinions so not much an ethics body could look at there I suspect.  It would make me not want to see them though.

Thank you for your replies @Lynz & @Ashley

The psychotherapist was also talking about fanatics leaving sandwiches, but I know lots of these were left by young children to do with the Paddington bear connection. I just thought it ironic because she also says she can help with things like school bullying & bereavement too.    

Lots of others were questioning her timing & also why in her profession was she clearly going out of way to upset others? (Lots of her sillier comments were being removed soon after being posted).

I think I will see if I can email her professional organisation & leave it with them.

Many thanks, 

10 hours ago, Ashley said:

Her opinion is fine, not one I agree with, but her opinion, the mental illness part is wrong though which I will come to in a moment.   Not sure I agree with you Lynz, whilst I am not a royalist, I don't accept that those that are and showing respect to someone should be considered embarrassing?  Happy to debate that point on a non OCD part of the forum. 

But back to your question Felix, the 'mental illness' part really is concerning and not really the correct action of a professional working in mental health, so I might be tempted to raise it with their professional body conduct and leave to them to decide if they have broken any rules.

Some of the BPS psychologists comments you see on Twitter are questionable on various subjects, especially when it comes to diagnostic labels it's become embarrassing to see professionals argue so publicly and some totally disregard service user groups opinions, especially over the use of the label OCD which the majority find helpful. But ultimately are their opinions so not much an ethics body could look at there I suspect.  It would make me not want to see them though.

Diagnostic labels have been subject to a lot of debate. The BPS publication Power Threat Meaning sparked off a lot of debate among the BPS clinical psychologist community with its approach to diagnosis. Of the groups of mental  health users, people with an OCD diagnosis were most contented with the diagnostic framework which is rooted in late 19th century German psychiatry. Other groups such as those with schizophrenia were critical confirming the Schizophrenia Commission of 2011 chaired by Robin Murray of the Maudsley that the application of the label caused more problems than the original mental illness because the diagnosis is frequently misunderstood and carries much prejudice.

There is constant movement in diagnostic categories for example OCD included hoarding but does not now except in rare cases. Also people experience a switch in diagnosis and consequent treatment during their lifetime.

Edited by Angst
18 hours ago, felix4 said:

the thread was eventually removed

Given that the thread and comment(s) have been removed, I would suggest that you leave it at that.

I agree it was inappropriate for a therapist to make such a comment on mental illness, but it's not important enough to count as official professional misconduct and reporting it will achieve nothing.

Sometimes OCD treads a fine line between pedantic censorship and doing the right thing. I think in this instance the issue has been blown out of proportion and would be best managed by letting it drop.

That's my opinion.

12 hours ago, Ashley said:

Not sure I agree with you Lynz, whilst I am not a royalist, I don't accept that those that are and showing respect to someone should be considered embarrassing?  Happy to debate that point on a non OCD part of the forum. 

It's this strange feudal deference, and North Korea-style public grieving, for an immensely privileged person who only happens to be a head of state because of an accident of birth, that I find ridiculous and embarrassing. But I mainly found the intense media coverage and national obsession with it embarrassing, rather than individual members of the public paying their respects. Having said that though I don't respect the monarchy as an institution so I don't believe in the idea of paying respects to someone who I personally reject as my monarch, because I don't accept that I am a "subject" of another person.

I know that not everybody sees it that way though, so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, Ashley!

1 hour ago, snowbear said:

Given that the thread and comment(s) have been removed, I would suggest that you leave it at that.

I agree it was inappropriate for a therapist to make such a comment on mental illness, but it's not important enough to count as official professional misconduct and reporting it will achieve nothing.

Sometimes OCD treads a fine line between pedantic censorship and doing the right thing. I think in this instance the issue has been blown out of proportion and would be best managed by letting it drop.

That's my opinion.

I agree Snowbear. I think some people with OCD have these traits that filter into other aspects of their lives, and they can worry and obsess over "doing the right thing" when it's really nothing to do with them and isn't worth worrying about. I can be like this sometimes. I think in those situations it's helpful for others to point out the more "normal" way of reacting when we find it difficult.

1 hour ago, Lynz said:

It's this strange feudal deference, and North Korea-style public grieving, for an immensely privileged person who only happens to be a head of state because of an accident of birth, that I find ridiculous and embarrassing. But I mainly found the intense media coverage and national obsession with it embarrassing, rather than individual members of the public paying their respects. Having said that though I don't respect the monarchy as an institution so I don't believe in the idea of paying respects to someone who I personally reject as my monarch, because I don't accept that I am a "subject" of another person.

I know that not everybody sees it that way though, so I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, Ashley!

Agree with Ashley, think this aspect of the discussion is one for the Member's section of the forum.

I think the therapists comments on mental illness are Ill placed but in the context of her other comments and personal opinion, not something that I'd consider reporting