Going back somewhere where my ocd was bad

Hello everybody,

So tonight, I’m going for a meal with my Nan and Grandad to somewhere my OCD was really bad and my brother had terrible psychosis xx I’m so so scared to go there in case I get bad flashbacks, when I went there, the bad intrusive thoughts about knives started so it relates to terrible memories. I’m so scared to do this exposure, but I just keep thinking about the lovely food and that it will be okay xx

@Smithy29 Thank you so much, safe to say I’m very glad I did stick it out as I did end up having a wonderful time :) I’m glad I made this thread to look back on in similar situations now too, safe to say I was quite happy when we’d had our dinner and they took the knife away 😂😂 but….. had a very lovely night after the initial OCD panic overall :) 

On 24/09/2022 at 05:00, Summer9173 said:

@Smithy29 Thank you so much, safe to say I’m very glad I did stick it out as I did end up having a wonderful time :) I’m glad I made this thread to look back on in similar situations now too, safe to say I was quite happy when we’d had our dinner and they took the knife away 😂😂 but….. had a very lovely night after the initial OCD panic overall :) 

See? Its just a thought and only that. If you replace the ruminating thoughts with happy memories what will the OCD clutch onto? Nothing, it’s a huge step in the right direction 🧡

Edited by Smithy29
On 23/09/2022 at 11:59, Summer9173 said:

What I want to do is replace these places I’ve attached bad memories too, with new happy memories. New memory = going for a lovely dinner with my amazing grandparents :) it will be okay, I know I’ve got this 

I have done the same thing with my ptsd with comparing worries, especially that one friend to another friend issue which I’ve now moved on from. But you have to take the most out of where you are and what you can positive minded. Don’t let negative issues of illogical and irrelevant worries affect you. Glad you enjoyed the time with  your family and distracted your mind from this worry

On 24/09/2022 at 00:00, Summer9173 said:

I had the same worry when I first went on a trip with the new friend I used to compare to the old bad friend and me and the new friend at first had an argument at Hershey park an amusement park, more of a disagreement but still, and I was worried d it’ll ruin the next two days on the trip and then all went well and fine and we were both so thankful we talked it out and had a great Trip! It’ll all be ok