I recently read a description of obsessive compulsive personality disorder. I hadn’t heard this phrase before and it described it as being different from OCD although with overlapping themes such as intrusive thoughts. Apparently this relates to people who tend to suffer perfectionism and harshly judge themselves.

has anyone else heard about this as being a separate condition

Edited by OB1UK
1 hour ago, OB1UK said:

obsessive compulsive personality disorder.

I was diagnosed with this the psychiatrist at my local CMHT, I wasn’t completely truthful about my symptoms (so I didn’t say anything about the harm thoughts out of fear they’d lock me up) etc, they then wrongly diagnosed me with OCPD :( I’m going to ask for a re-referral for sure now I know more that it’s safe to tell people xx

5 hours ago, OB1UK said:

I’m particularly harsh on my own failures but tend to be much more forgiving of others

This comes from using a judgemental way of thinking.

There are lots of thinking styles, one of which is judgement thinking. When viewing the world through this lens you think things are either good or bad and are deserving of either reward or punishment.

Lots of people think this way. They always think it's making them a better person.

It's comprised of two beliefs:

1. Being harsh on myself makes me a morally good person  

2. Being more forgiving towards others [while being harsh on myself] makes me a morally good person.

:no: and :no:

Both beliefs are wrong.

I've spent more than a decade studying forgiveness - of yourself and others - and the truth is that unless you readily forgive yourself as much as or even more  than others, you're not being truly forgiving to anybody at all.

Until you learn to forgive yourself unconditionally you do not truly understand what it means to forgive.

You say 'I forgive others' as if it's a saintly act.  :angel: 

But what you're actually saying is 'I don't care what other people's morals are *shrug*  as long as mine are kept to the the highest possible standard. :angel_not: 

This way of thinking has nothing to do with forgiveness and everything to do with punishment - in this case, self-punishment.

People genuinely believe the reasons they tell themselves are the true reasons they act as they do.  It's not that we knowingly lie to ourselves, simply that we don't realise there's sometimes a deeper hidden motive beneath the one that seems to fit and sounds so plausible. 

It's only when you peel back the layers that you discover this judgement thinking going on underneath, and the crazy belief that punishing yourself (being harsh or unforgiving of your own mistakes) makes you a 'good' person.

But you want to be a 'good' person, right? :)

Ok then! From today practise forgiving yourself. Forgive yourself immediately, easily, and unconditionally. 

Any time you catch yourself thinking you ought to be harsh on yourself  :unsure:  remember this new understanding you now have that

true forgiveness starts with forgiving yourself.

Forgiving yourself is the right thing to do

and only when you've mastered that will you be a truly forgiving and kind person when it comes to others. :)