At docs today he told me off for putting nappy in his bin as its clinical waste. I was so embarrassed i just fished it back out without thinking. But now feeling really gross about it as God knows what else it touched in there, had to put my arm all the way in. My hands are really chapped too. Gave them a quick wash after but then picked up baby to feed. Can't stop ruminating that may have got all sorts of infections and passed them on to her. Can't believe I did that without gloves and can't decide on a proportional response. Nothing feels clean now. 

When I fished it back out I just chucked it next to nappy bag till I could chuck it in the bin. I've since empted the bag and partner has put it through the wash without mentioning it. He only did it at 40 and now there's more stuff in there. I feel like that wasn't hot enough and I should rewash all the things but can't tell if that's the ocd or reasonable

6 hours ago, AnxiousAnnie said:

But there could have been all sorts of bodily fluids and infectious material in the bin 

:dry: At risk of giving reassurance I needed to point out the crazy thinking here.

You weren't allowed to put 'clinical waste' (a nappy) in the bin, right?

So logically that means the bin never gets used for any clinical waste/ body fluids/ infectious material.

Your OCD has made you panic over the idea there's clinical waste/ infectious material in a bin you weren't allowed to dispose that same kind of waste into even when it was safely bagged up

So there's no way the doctor is going to have allowed that bin to be used for other people's body fluids, especially unbagged waste that could have contaminated you as you reached in.

That is totally obvious to anybody thinking rationally. That you haven't seen it is an example of how blinkered and illogical OCD thinking can be. :(

Once you get an idea in your head 'there could have been a risk of something contaminating' :omg_smilie: all your brain registers after that is Danger, Danger...obsession, obsession, obsession.

This is one time OCD can't logically argue 'but there's still a teeny tiny chance...'  Put it to rest. Forget it and get on with your day.