Intensive CBT?

Guest Anna

Guest Norwich Star

Hi Kirstie,

This is probably not the right place to enquire but what other ways are there of receiving intensive CBT? I have been on the waiting list for over 18 months now and it doesn't look like I am going to be seen anytime soon.

Is this allowed? The only way I forsee getting help is by going private (although I don't agree with this).

I feel I'm stuck at crossroads and don't know what way to turn...

x.

hey - i have the same problem...

im actually not even on a waiting list. and im just so fed up with ocd now - ive had nearly 3 years of psychotherapy but my ocd is still here...so im desperate for some cbt.

a councillor told me that private cbt starts at £70 an hour?

does that sound right to you? seems a looooot!!!

maybe its the area im in (at university)??

hmmm.

thanks!

soodle

I've had exactly the same problem - decided to go private after suffering from ocd for 6 years. I pay £75 an hour and although that's a lot of money I have found it worth it as finally I am dealing with my ocd. It seems outrageous that so many people are desperate for treatment and can't get it or have to wait so long.

Hi All,

Thank you SO much for your replies - they are all greatly appreciated :hug:

I have a few problems with going private...

1. The cost of it - around my area they charge £100.00 an hour :shock: I spoke to my doctor and I couldn't believe what she said. She basically said that I was being a cheap skate for waiting to get CBT on the NHS and said if I really wanted to get this OCD sorted I would pay to go private. Her summary - I obviously don't want to get better.

2. I don't agree with the theory behind private treatment. I don't feel the colour of your money should determine how quickly you get seen. The House of Obsessive Compulsives prove that there are people put there who are really bad (like me) who are suffering.

There probably is no point to this post - sorry! :blushing:

As much as I would love to change doctors I can't. Around Norfolk there is a strict 4 mile radius around the surgery they can take from. I am lucky to be within those 4 miles but there is simply no other doctor I can move to within the practice. They are all chocca.

I fear going to the doctors now because of what she might say to me. It's not helping me one bit.

Guest emmalou

it might sound scary but some hospitals have a mental health part to them and i do know that they have mental health teams that work in them and they usualy have an out patience department attached to them could this not be a possibility for you im so sorry to hear your having to struggle to get help the fact your seeking help should be enough for the doctors to give you the help you so rightfully deserve

Guest twoshoes

Do what is best for you! And if that means paying then that's it. I have to pay for my treatment as the CBT therapist that I was assigned was just not someone I could work with. I now pay for hypnotherapy and that is working.

The National Phobic Society used to have a scheme that allowed you to see therapist including CBT and Hypnotherapy for a limited time (around 6 sessions) for a greatly reduced fee I think it was £7.50 for NPS members or other in full time education. All info I have put is at least 12 months old because my phobics membership has now lapsed but I am sure there is a link to the phobics from this site.

I pay for my dental treatment, OCD treatment, sons education and I would have no qualms about paying for other "free" services if I could afford it. I give to many charities, many of them NHS funded hospitals. In an ideal world places like Air ambulance,Christies,NCH,Marie Curie nurses, Life Boats,NSPCC,RSPCA,etc etc etc wuld not need extra funding from our pockets. It cost loads (around 6K) to keep a prisoner for 1 year, if they spent 2K on getting us well...and we would be useful members of society. The government fight others wars and waste money left right and centre on reports and polls and folk like you and I have to make the descision regarding the funding of our health care.

Sorry vent over