Anger outburst!

3 minutes ago, phillev said:

Thank you, I know I need to work hard at this and maybe I can use it as a turning point in my fight against this awful condition. No more tears I need to try harder!

I think be kind to yourself too! This is a rough condition and it's not always simple or easy to do these things even if we know we need to (been there done that :D) - try not to beat yourself up - just do what you can xx 

Edited by gingerbreadgirl

Going back to how people without this condition can pretty much say what they want without fear, yesterday when I was chatting to a work colleague we were talking about early morning TV and she happened to say how there is one person on there who annoyed her so much she could kill him. She didn't even think after saying it and just moved on to her next line of conversation. I immediately thought of the reaction I would have had if I'd have said the same thing. I'm still struggling with the anxiety of what I said and I'm still not 100% sure exactly what I did say as afterwards I wasn't worried in the slightest and normally I do. I'm a bit of a mess!

I too agree with the guy saying that everything isn't OCD. saying that would be very black and white. 

I have also done things when stressed under mental stress and all this anxiety is the worst stressor ever. 

I mean if I go around and do things in life and constantly get the reassurance that "that's fine", what does that sound to you guys? hmm yes exactly.

Edited by WorriedToHell
4 minutes ago, WorriedToHell said:

I too agree with the guy saying that everything isn't OCD. saying that would be very black and white. 

I have also done things when stressed under mental stress and all this anxiety is the worst stressor ever. 

I mean if I go around and do things in life and constantly get the reassurance that "that's fine", what does that sound to you guys? hmm yes exactly.

Of course not everything is OCD. However there are things that are OCD because of the mechanisms underneath it. In this case we need to look at how people without OCD look at it. If people without OCD don't make meaning out of these things and don't do compulsions over it then it has the mechanisms of OCD.

Without OCD, people can get reassurance but the key difference is they wouldn't constantly need it. Once would be enough. For those of us with OCD that "just once" grows into the next time and the next time and it forever keeps going. 

From an OCD perspective and also for me as an autistic person I'm predisposed to thinking very black and white but that doesn't mean that is how life is. It's just something I have to be aware of when I'm dealing with my mental health not to get caught up in that type of thinking as it all feeds into OCD.

1 hour ago, DRS1 said:

Of course not everything is OCD. However there are things that are OCD because of the mechanisms underneath it. In this case we need to look at how people without OCD look at it. If people without OCD don't make meaning out of these things and don't do compulsions over it then it has the mechanisms of OCD.

Without OCD, people can get reassurance but the key difference is they wouldn't constantly need it. Once would be enough. For those of us with OCD that "just once" grows into the next time and the next time and it forever keeps going. 

From an OCD perspective and also for me as an autistic person I'm predisposed to thinking very black and white but that doesn't mean that is how life is. It's just something I have to be aware of when I'm dealing with my mental health not to get caught up in that type of thinking as it all feeds into OCD.

A human without OCD would feel bad about being angry and what they said or done under the anger outburst but wouldn't beat himself up forever that's right.  
Taking away all responsibility and just lable it as OCD won't work however. Let's draw it to an extreme, let's say I commit a crime or even step on a road and get killed by a car. Nobody would be able to shake it off as OCD because the consequences have sadly appeared. A verdict or you getting killed.

This whole thread is obviously just OCD as usual with OCD-suffererers

Edited by WorriedToHell
4 hours ago, WorriedToHell said:

A human without OCD would feel bad about being angry and what they said or done under the anger outburst but wouldn't beat himself up forever that's right.  
Taking away all responsibility and just lable it as OCD won't work however. Let's draw it to an extreme, let's say I commit a crime or even step on a road and get killed by a car. Nobody would be able to shake it off as OCD because the consequences have sadly appeared. A verdict or you getting killed.

This whole thread is obviously just OCD as usual with OCD-suffererers

I am not great under extreme pressure and I am the first to acknowledge that and whatever I did say has left me feeling guilty, anxious and almost like I've screwed my life up. People on here who don't suffer with this kind of OCD and perhaps suffer with a predisposition to germs... Imagine being made to do the thing that most worries you regarding germs tenfold, that's how I feel atm and I know it is my fault because i shouldn't have said it. I now feel like I am the thing that I am most scared of and I hate it.

Edited by phillev
10 minutes ago, phillev said:

I am not great under extreme pressure and I am the first to acknowledge that and whatever I did say has left me feeling guilty, anxious and almost like I've screwed my life up. People on here who don't suffer with this kind of OCD and perhaps suffer with a predisposition to germs... Imagine being made to do the thing that most worries you regarding germs tenfold, that's how I feel atm and I know it is my fault because i shouldn't have said it. I now feel like I am the thing that I am most scared of and I hate it.

What you describe with people who have contamination obsessions is exactly what they would do to overcome OCD. Outside of mainly harm or sexual obsessions, my next biggest thing is the fear of offending someone or saying the wrong thing so I do know where you are coming from. Whatever you are currently dealing with is the worst at that time but there is no worst theme. The process for treatment is the same and it involves facing the things that terrifies us. I've even noticed a spike in OCD recently as a big thing is coming up but rather than do the compulsions because its all these old themes, I'm choosing not to and face all the anxiety of it again because it's okay to feel these things and face things at the same time. You need to work on the guilt aspect. OCD will make you feel intensely guilty for things that don't matter and separating OCD from you as a person will help a lot with that. Is it justified to feel indefinite amounts of guilt over this?

30 minutes ago, DRS1 said:

What you describe with people who have contamination obsessions is exactly what they would do to overcome OCD. Outside of mainly harm or sexual obsessions, my next biggest thing is the fear of offending someone or saying the wrong thing so I do know where you are coming from. Whatever you are currently dealing with is the worst at that time but there is no worst theme. The process for treatment is the same and it involves facing the things that terrifies us. I've even noticed a spike in OCD recently as a big thing is coming up but rather than do the compulsions because its all these old themes, I'm choosing not to and face all the anxiety of it again because it's okay to feel these things and face things at the same time. You need to work on the guilt aspect. OCD will make you feel intensely guilty for things that don't matter and separating OCD from you as a person will help a lot with that. Is it justified to feel indefinite amounts of guilt over this?

The Logical part of my brain says just forget about it realize while it wasn't a nice thing to say, learn from it try not to do it again and use it as a reminder to try and stay calm. Unfortunately the other side says otherwise.... And it's winning.

I didn't have contamination OCD until the last 2 years, couldn't understand how anyone could see germs as so horrible. It all started with my mom telling me "you can't have OCD haha, if you would you would do your best to clean around you". I remember thinking to myself that she was frikking terrible for saying so and I got mad. It really did start that way. Which I find pretty funny actually. 

OCD is horrible but I will not be the person who just says time after time that "this too is ok, get over it" because it seems HIGHLY suspicious to me. Seems like yet another extreme to me. AND as USUAL I am a total hypocrite becuase when I write this I sit here and worry about a thing/theme. ...

Edited by WorriedToHell
On 15/10/2022 at 09:25, DRS1 said:

Actually no it doesn't make sense. Would it be not normal for others without OCD to say things like that?

Absolutely. It's called Intermittent Explosive Disorder.  OCD is comorbid.

hmm yes. Not sure if this person have it however. I myself have anger issues, irritation anger it all comes together and I explode. Very annoying.

Getting some OCD idea on top of existing stress can for sure lead to exessive stress and then you blow.

Edited by WorriedToHell

I've never heard of IED and I've never discussed it with my GP. I am the first to admit I get so frustrated and angry at times and have frequently said things I then regret, broken things and generally acted in a very aggressive manner. I just wanted to add I've never been physically aggressive it's always inanimate objects that get it, most of the time it is verbal and afterwards I always feel massive remorse especially with the OCD.

Hello there... making statements such as 'I want to strangle him/her' or 'I wish they were dead/would die'  has a name... it's called 'lashing out' and ALL human beings on earth do it. You have not done anything wrong in the slightest, it doesn't matter. Actually doing it would be a different story, but having that momentary reaction, and even if you really dislike the individual and couldn't care in the slightest what harm happens to them...  that's fine. This is simply OCD giving you guilt and unobtainable and unrealistic levels of moral virtue. Everyone on earth says and thinks things like this, I know it's hard, but honestly try not to worry about it.

Thanks for your input McW, the daftest thing about it all is that I was actually aiming whatever I said at anyone and certainly didn't have any particular person in mind it was just as you say lashing out, not sure if that makes it better or worse?